A lot of my conversations with friends this week have been about the evolution of artists (musicians and product designers specifically) and their styles. It’s easy to hold onto the first exposure we had to a design or an album and want things to stay stationary for our own nostalgic sakes but that’s not the way creativity and expression work. And that’s a good thing. New techniques, colors, sounds, etc. introduced by our favorite makers allow us to glimpse their creative process and growth. While the first work may always be a favorite, no one can be a fan of an artist while pigeon holding what’s acceptable for them to produce.
It’s always so fun to revisit an artist or maker that has been featured on Design*Sponge years ago and see the transition their artwork and business have made since. Mōglea has been a personal and D*S favorite for years. Meg and Chad Gleason’s newest collection incorporates stunning hand painted stationery and home goods with richer, deeper colors than ever before. The products made in their Audubon, Iowa studio have become more expressionist in the last few collections and this one is full of freehand and abstract pieces inspired by Meg’s artwork. While collection may not look just like the first one, it is Meg and Chad through and through and indicative of where their inspiration and artistic vision has taken them over the years. –Lauren
- Tea Time: Learn how to brew the best cup of tea. Ever.
- Summer Anthem: Brynn Elliott’s newest single is just the girl-power song this summer needs.
- Old Soul: The beauty of this hacienda turned winery in Sonoma, CA has old world charm mixed with modern finishes.
- Fresh Faces: There are so many ways to be creative in New York. This set of 9 makers and doers proves it.
- The Happiness Factor: Is happiness a result of wealth or a prerequisite?
- The Layered Look: Rugs on rugs on rugs is a trend I can get behind. Kate Arend’s round up is on point.
- Interiors: The Beach Hotel in Newcastle, Australia
- Decorating: Design from A to Z: L is for Lodge, 14 Dreamy Farmhouse Sinks, 12 Cheerful and Creative Workspaces
- Apps, Tech + Online: 14 Abstract Painters to Follow on Instagram
- Life + Business: How QuickBooks Online Reminded Us of the Agility of Small Business
- In the Kitchen With: A Healthy Fruit Frangipane Tart