Sometimes the little details in a space are what stand out the most. Back in 2012 when Amy and I visited the Wythe Hotel in Brooklyn, we both fell in love with the little green bedside tables in each room. Short, sweet and shiny – they were the perfect accent pieces for modern minimal rooms. Even a few weeks after our visit, those tables were still my favorite pieces. So when I heard from the designer, Sawyer DeVuyst of SAW, after the post, I was thrilled to finally put a name and face to such beautiful work. Sawyer has gone on to create more fantastic pieces for the Wythe, in addition to other furniture designs with the same minimal (but still colorful) spirit. I love peeking behind the studio door to learn more about the people behind my favorite work, so I was ecstatic when Sawyer agreed to share 10 of his favorite things with us here on the site today. From great books to funny vintage hippos, it’s great to see Sawyer’s personal style behind his popular furniture. Thanks so much to Sawyer for sharing! xo, grace
Music: “Springish” by Gillicuddy
Click through for the full post after the jump!
1. Favorite Book/Magazine: Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach.
2. Favorite Handmade Piece: Sawyer’s favorite piece of furniture is a handmade media unit. “I made it as a birthday gift for my girlfriend and was the first piece of furniture I ever made. The wood top is from a pine tree my dad felled in the 70’s with his cousin and somehow managed to hang on to ten or so 3” thick slabs for 30+ years. My bed, nightstands and coffee table are all made from the same tree (and I have two slabs left)!”
5. Favorite Kitchen Product: Original 1939 Russell Wright dishes. “My girlfriend has slowly pieced together almost the entire set from flea markets in Brooklyn, flea markets in Texas, garage sales and Ebay gifts from her mother in Houston.”
6. Favorite Meal: Steak, spinach and potatoes at Reynard. “I handmade the nightstands for the Wythe Hotel nearly two years ago, so I was invited to the opening of their restaurant, Reynard. I had been vegan for fourteen years, and was trying to piece together a meal of sides – roasted carrots, cauliflower, etc. Instead, I ordered the steak with spinach and mashed potatoes. After a few ‘are-you-sure’s,’ I overheard the waiter tell the chef that the guy who built all the furniture for the hotel was breaking his veganism after fourteen years and the chef replied, “I’m gonna make the best damn steak I’ve ever made.” And it was.
7. Favorite Color: “I would’ve loved to say matte black, but that’s too expected, so I’ll choose what’s known in the furniture/powdercoating world as RAL4009. Or as I like to call it, ‘Dirty Lavender.’ “
9. Favorite Vintage Piece: Flora the hippo. Sawyer found this hippo in the trash of a job site he was working on. His girlfriend’s spirit animal is a hippo, so he knew he needed to have her. She now lives on the floor and is covered in flora, so her name was “pretty obvious.”
10. Favorite Tool in The Shop: Metal files. “I’m obsessed with smooth, perfect corners in my metalwork. After grinding a weld down, taking the time and effort to go back and create a crisp corner really shows the care and thought that was put into making a piece.”