On Sunday evening, Austin and I drove out of town 40 miles to PepperHarrow Farm in Winterset, IA. Austin was photographing the flower farm for an upcoming yoga/music event they’ll be hosting later in the summer, and I tagged along just to see the flowers. When I worked as a magazine editor, I was constantly ordering ridiculous amounts of flowers from California and Amsterdam and having them shipped to Des Moines for photo shoots. Even after I started producing shoots and events on my own, I kept ordering flowers from international wholesalers — but Sunday’s trip had me seeing the error in my ways.
The perfect rolling hills covered in late summer blooms were so breathtaking on Sunday. Adam O’Neal, farmer, florist and co-founder at PepperHarrow Farm showed us around the gardens and talked about plans for the future. In-season, locally sourced flowers can make a big impact environmentally and the flowers look flawless for days (or even a week) longer than they would buying from a retailer or wholesaler. The bouquet we took home looks as fresh as it did that evening. The whole night felt like a dream — a summery, beautiful, small-town dream. Wishing you summertime magic like that this weekend. —Lauren
- Church Work: Julie Mehretu has been using an empty Harlem church to create two massive paintings for the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
- Sip on This: Two of my favorite go-tos, rosé and gin & tonic, are teamed together to make one perfect summertime drink.
- Art Appreciation: A new study says art teaches critical thinking and empathy and produces kinder societies.
- California Cool: A peek at CB2’s new collection with Fred Segal has me feeling those modern beach vibes.
- Women + Science: Deanne Bell, co-host of “Make Me a Millionaire Inventor,” is using her platform to encourage girls and young women to continue with STEM past 10th grade.
- Simplified Design: The men behind Dowel Jones talk about their furniture, the company’s background, and the personalities they give each piece they design.
- Interiors: A 16th-Century Home Begins a Playful New Chapter, A Parisian Textile Designer’s Pattern-Filled Maison, Merging Styles in a Victorian Outside Chicago, IL, A Collected Sanctuary in Notting Hill That’s All About Comfort
- Before & After: A Master Bath Gets a Bright Makeover in Austin, TX
- Decorating: 5 Tips for Sourcing Ethical Textiles with Mira Blackman, Design from A to Z: P is for Paneling
- Apps, Tech & Online: 15 Art + Design Gifs to Make You Smile (and Laugh), 8 Basics to Snap up at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale This Weekend
- Food & Drinks: Refreshing Pineapple-Herb Sorbet