When it comes to paintings, I am always most enamored by pieces that evoke emotion and are laden with thick, heavy brushstrokes. The works I gravitate towards when browsing flea markets for new paintings are packed with generous swaths of pigment, and they’re so rich you can see the bristle marks of the brush when you look close enough. So it’s no surprise that I was instantly drawn to the work of artist and creative mentor Monica Lee. Apart from her years hosting the Smart Creative Women podcast, Monica’s work as an artist has taken her to many places — including both London and Shanghai’s Fashion Weeks where she illustrated live from the runway.
Monica describes her work as, “intuitive, semi-abstract and impressionistic. My hope is that the work feels lush and makes the viewer feel the same” — yes, Monica, I’d say that your hopes are fulfilled. Check out more of Monica’s work here. Until Monday, have a fun and relaxing weekend! —Kelli
- If you’re a DIYer of all types — especially when it comes to making your own clothes — you’re going to love Jasika Nicole. On her blog Try Curious she breaks down how to make many things; most recently it’s DIY hair gel and some super chic goji chambray shorts.
- Shea of Studio McGee is a wizard of using textures to elevate neutral spaces. Studio McGee’s latest reveal of their Promontory Project is a masterclass in using texture to elevate tame hues.
- With warm weather creeping into the forecast, the bright new collections from our friend Hana Getachew of Bolé Road Textiles are calling my name — especially the Simien Pillow.
- Emily Henderson’s own Brady recently overhauled his once-drab galley kitchen into a masterpiece of high design. This is a testament to how any space can be transformed.
- Proud coworker/friend plug here: Grace is Grand Marshaling the Hampton Roads PrideFest in June!
- I’m 30 weeks pregnant with my second child, and this time around I’m craving fresh, plant-based meals. So I’m very excited that the new book from Green Kitchen Stories released in the US this week!
- Interiors: An Eclectic Meets Minimal Craftsman Centered Around Community in the Midwest, Storied Finds Enrich a Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn Duplex, deVOL’s Kitchen Showroom in Clerkenwell, London
- Before & After: A 120-Square-Foot Trailer Becomes a Tiny Shop
- Decorating: 10 Incredible Home Libraries, An Ode to Open Shelves: 15 of Our Favorites
- Life + Business: Five Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business, Design*Sponge x Ann Taylor: Inspired By
- Q&A: Art, Activism and We the Women with Cat Seto and Lisa Congdon
- Gift Ideas: A Sweet Mother’s Day Recipe Journal to Share & Share Alike