Over the past almost 13 years of writing here at Design*Sponge, the greatest honor has been getting to work alongside some of the kindest and most creative people in our community. For three years author Ashley English helmed our Small Measures column (inspired her wonderful homesteading blog) and since then she’s gone on to write not one but TEN books, including her latest, A Year of Picnics: Recipes for Dining Well in the Great Outdoors (Roost Books).
Ashley’s latest book gets right to the heart of who she is and what she loves most: nurturing those around her. Over the years we all worked with Ashley, we got to experience firsthand just how much love she shares with others and how generous she is with her time and attention. Seeing that generosity of spirit carry on through her book series has been an absolute joy and her latest book, dedicated to seasonal picnics with friends, is Ashley’s heart in a nutshell. The book is filled with over 20 picnic ideas, separated into seasons and filled with delicious food and drink recipes (and tips for cooking and eating outdoors) like Smoky Chai with Cardamom, Rose Water, and Berry Coffee Cake. Today we’re giving away 10 copies of A Year of Picnics (!!) and all you have to do to enter is leave a comment here sharing a memory of your favorite picnic moment — or one you hope to have one day. (Mine is somehow clearing off the Brooklyn Bridge for one night, and making dinner for Julia and I to eat together and look at the city where we first met and fell in love). Until Monday, here’s wishing you all a wonderful weekend. xo, grace
- Mindy Kaling’s home is positively dreamy. All those amazing rugs and brightly colored artwork! Hello, dream apartment.
- This pink weathered wall at Botanica in LA is fantastic. I would love to have a pink, plastery wall at home one day…
- This piece on navigating a career change is a great read — and so helpful for anyone considering making a life change.
- I love Stacy London and her mantra to eschew style rules. Preach on, Stacy (also, how cool is Man Repeller’s new site redesign? Love it.).
- Desire to Inspire’s look at “Traditional with a Twist” style story is full of great pink interiors.
- This post at SFGirlbyBay reminds me why I love Jenny Lind beds so, so much. Those spool-y bits are so cute.
- Florals: Spring Flowers by Swallows & Damsons
- Decorating: Designing Rooms with Intention, 10 Pink Rooms that Suit Adults and Kids Alike
- Interiors: Painterly Touches Give a British Home a Boost, Painter Frances Berry’s Vivid Studio in Memphis, TN, A Storied Nest Full of Pleasant Memories and Artwork
- Inspiration: 22 Architexture Feeds to Follow on Instagram
- DIY: Stitched Geometric Artwork
- Food and Entertaining: A Delicious Summery Stonefruit Salad, 10 Instagram Feeds To Inspire Your Next Party