Step Inside Candis Cayne’s Los Angeles Dream Home

Share It

It can be hard to know where to start writing about someone when you admire them so much. So I’ll just dive in: I think the world of actress and author Candis Cayne. When I moved to New York City for college, her performances were the stuff of legends among my theater major roommates. Her name always seemed to be in the air and it was always mentioned with deep reverence and admiration. But it wasn’t until her appearance on I Am Cait that I got to learn more about her personal and political views. Her openness, honesty, vulnerability, and sheer joy for life immediately made me sit up, pay attention and join the legions of fans who admire her for not just her performance work, but her strong and unwavering voice.

As I followed along with Candis’ acting and activism work online, I happened upon an image of her kitchen renovation that stopped me in my tracks. Her Los Angeles home is a dreamy California oasis of sunlight, impeccable curved archways and stunning tile work. So I reached out to Candis and her design team, gamble + DESIGN, and to my delight, they kindly offered to share this incredible space with us today.

What strikes me so much about Candis’ home is the way in which natural light, historic details, the outdoors and her beautiful dogs, Sampson and Dalilah, are incorporated. Every space feels grand enough for a stylish LA party, but also welcoming enough that it’s clear that this space was brought together with love, comfort and real life in mind. Thank you to Candis for sharing your home with us today — and thank you for sharing your voice and your love of life with all of us online. xo, grace

Design work by gamble + DESIGN, photography by Echo and Earl

Additional sources:

Tile by Ann Sacks

Sconce by Rejuvenation

Outdoor furniture by Sunbeam Vintage

1. P says:

Morocco + Paris + 1920s = Yes please!

2. Lauren says:

Where is the octopus pedestal bowl from?

3. Rachel says:

THAT TILE!!!! So simple but so great.

4. Sarah says:

What is that glorious paint color on the kitchen cabinets?!

5. Hillary says:

This home is beautiful. I’m so in love with the kitchen!

6. Holland says:

Beautiful beautiful beautiful. And I love seeing the pair of senior dogs living in splendor.

7. Kitt says:

Fabulous! Ditto on the paint color!

8. Dana says:

Gorgeous!! I worked with her on a different TV series and she is one of THE nicest people in Hollywood. Professional and just a lovely woman. Now I see she also has amazing taste and a lovely home. Thanks.

9. Angie says:

Yes!! I’d love to know the name of the paint color on the cabinets as well please :)

10. Li says:

Gorgeous home! Lovely lady! I especially admire that grey sofa. It would have been nice to see how the frig was incorporated into the beautiful kitchen. Cute pets too – always an added bonus. Thank you.

11. Jill says:

The tile and the color of the kitchen cabinets are amazing! Beautiful home, beautiful view, beautiful dogs!!

12. christine avakoff says:

at last there is another person who loves morocco and paris besides Parisians the best reno with the cut aways I have ever seen I am saving this design team for my next renovation!

13. Taylor says:

holy kitchen envy! this is all around one of the most gorgeous homes i have ever seen.

14. jeni gamble says:

It was so amazing work with Candis on the design of her home. Her style was such and inspiration for the kitchen tile, the colors, and the layout. The first comment nailed it. The tile pattern was inspired by Candis’ love of Morocco motif and we then did a cutout in the archway to match.The doors and windows to the outside are new and done with re-claimed iron metal to mimic the 1920 Paris look, the light fixture followed suite. The rest of the home we channeled Hollywood glamour for the furniture, paint color, floor stain. Thanks all for your kind words.
    Jeni (gamble+Design) http://www.gambleplusdesign.com

15. michele says:

that kitchen!! oh, my. but that rug stole my heart! do you have a source for that?

16. Nicole Block says:

Love the Morocco meets Paris vibe. It’s a very natural combination!

17. A once in a lifetime property done perfectly. I love her style and the way the designer simply guided the voice of the house.

18. kim says:

Could you please share the paint color for the kitchen cabinets? Thank you.

19. Bérangère says:

When I first saw this kitchen I couldn’t find the right words so I didn’t bother to comment but I keep coming back to it. It’s like the perfect outfit. The orange flowers in the transparent yellow vase are so electrifying with the teal cupboards. The artfully displayed vegetables are so much fun and just as spectacular on that octopus stand. All beautiful and easy to change like accessories. The tiles and lamps are amazing and timeless. I just can’t express how perfect it looks. I keep staring over and over again. This would have been Domino worthy back in the days. Love it. Thank you for sharing.

20. I love this kitchen! That tile design is now on my list of must-haves for our new kitchen.

21. Great kitchen, love color combinations and tile design. Really awesome, thanks for inspiring and share.

22. that KITCHEN! OMGorgeous!!!

xo
    the pattern collective

23. Kerry says:

This is one of the most original, prettiest houses I’ve seen on Design Sponge, and I’ve been reading for a really long time.

24. Gina says:

PAINT COLOR PRETTY PLEASE!!!

25. Hi All,
    Thanks again for your sweet words about the design. So everyone is asking what the paint color is! Candis and I looked at a series of teals by Benjamin Moore and then lighten and darken by a percent here and a percent there. In the end, it was a truly custom color which we worked together on. There is not a straight answer like a color number….. but by going through the design process, and yes it is a process, the outcome can be something special and unique for the home. And remember the lighting varies so much from home to home that what looks right in one space may look really different in another. Have fun with the process and play. gamble + Design

26. Love this! The tile and sconce placement is refreshing and inspiring. Also great to know it’s the home of such a good person. Happy to see this!

27. Sandra says:

The color of the kitchen cabinets, that incredible tile pattern and the serenity of the kitchen countertop, left me breathless. The photos transported me there. Absolutely stunning!