16 Cozy & Inviting Reading Nooks

Share It

This season before spring is the least exciting in my book, but the cold, rainy days turn out to be a great chance to tackle indoor projects or spend time in a good book. As a kid, I could read anywhere — on the floor, in bed, or my favorite spot outside — but lately, I’ve found the need for just enough light, quiet and lots of pillows. Coziness is essential to block out distraction and let my mind settle into a story or study. Grey skies are a chance for imagination to come alive, and these 16 reading nooks from the archives seem like just the spaces to let that happen. —Bethany

1. Chaucee says:

My reading nook is my favorite part of my house : ) I’m a huge bookworm and love curling in my sofa chair with a good read. This is it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKYyyfxBeF4/?taken-by=phillybookclub

1. Gosia says:

wow, it’s truly beautiful Chaucee x

2. Rktrix says:

Oh, this first slide won’t work in earthquake country. You are asleep or reading and wake up to an avalanche o books. I love books too but not as lethal weapons!

3. Molly Gilkey says:

I love all of these but the couple who wrap their books in white papaer just makes me sad. I think of my books as affordable pieces of art work and then I think of all the hard work that designers put into those book covers. Yes, the white books look lovely but to me, it just seems like putting a blanket over a painting.

4. Molly Gilkey says:

That’s “paper,” not “papaer.”

5. I love the story behind the Connecticut farmhouse. How great is it to have a story behind a room full of stories. I noticed that several of these reading nooks featured neutral or cool tones, which I find very calming. Great share.

6. Gosia says:

the 2nd photo stole my heart! <3

7. AR says:

Oh my goodness these all look so inviting, I’d love to build a reading space into my home, thank for the ideas…

8. Deanna says:

Wonderful read. Just wonderful!

9. Kiki says:

As a super active reader this was heaven for me – wish to have time to go through every story too. Love nearly all of them in their special way.
    In my house I have, only this morning, already read at the dining table, in the kitchen while making breakfast, on the cosy sofa in the living and in the bay window armchair in the living room too…. Normally, at this time of the morning I also would have read in the bedroom where we have 2 armchairs and a lovely round small table and tons of wonderful morning light… Thanks for these themed contributions, they are always great fun and much inspiration is provided.

10. Danuria says:

Loovee loove the 2nd slide. Natural light is the best :)

11. Patricia says:

I now have my perfect book nook. I’ve been looking for this my whole life (well, since I learned to read). A nook at the south end of our living/ dining room has big sunny windows on two sides and tall bookshelves on the other side. A sectional with lounge fills the rest of the space and I’ve got lots of pillows, a throw and places to set a glass or tea mug. It’s drenched with sunlight all day long in winter.

I’ve found my home.

12. Fatima says:

Love this so much! I would love if my bedroom had this kind of bookcase built into the walls!!!