Design from A to Z: B is For Bungalow

Share It

What is a bungalow? There are many types around the world, but the ones that we are most accustomed to are the Craftsman and the California. These are usually one-story homes with dormer windows, built-in cabinets in the living room, and a porch running across the front of the home. They became popular after World War 1, because of the cost to build them and their manageable size. Many were sold in kits from companies like Sears, which is why they are so distinguishable.

I’ve lived in many different bungalows in my life and they are my favorite style of home. They always seem to be the perfect size, quaint, and packed with personality, with all the built-in features that vary from house to house. I lived in two different ones in Tampa, FL; a pink California bungalow and a traditional Craftsman. I lived in an Chalet-style bungalow in St. Petersburg, FL, a yellow California in Memphis, TN, a Craftsman in Los Angeles, and a raised bungalow in Seattle, WA. I’m pretty sure my current house would be considered a bungalow, too, but I’m not sure the type it falls under.

Given my past residences, I feel pretty well versed in this topic, so I hope you enjoy this roundup of different bungalows that we have featured here on D*S over the years. —Erin

1. Jen O says:

Thanks for this feature. There is an informative list of bungalow styles and dates on “American Bungalow” that shows how wide the scope and dates are for this type of home (https://www.americanbungalow.com/all-about-bungalows/what-style-is-my-bungalow/) It is my favorite home style too!

2. Emily says:

The bungalow has always been one of my favorites! Love that you showcased some really beautiful ones here. Can’t wait for ‘C’! ;)

-Emily

3. I have a fairly new love and appreciation for bungalows: Nineteen months ago my husband and I bought a 1930 bungalow in Tennessee that was previously abandoned for 20 years, and we’ve been gutting and remodeling the place ever since.

4. Tricia says:

sad to see people painting the natural wood and brick which are bungalow style hallmarks.

1. Caitlin Kelch says:

Hi Tricia

I’m sorry this makes you sad. I appreciate all types of home style choices because, at the end of the day, the people that have made certain choices have done so to make their home comfortable and attractive for themselves. Their choices might not be my choices, but anyone customizing their homes in a thoughtful way that works for them makes me smile.

Caitlin

5. Jean C says:

What a fantastic idea to hang a hammock in a sunny spot in the house! Love it!

6. Abigail says:

I grew up around the ubiquitous brick bungalows in Chicago, so they will always have a special place in my heart.

7. Becky says:

Anyone know what that plant is in pic #10? So cool!