A Modern-Day Neighbor in Old Rothesay

Share It

While working on other people’s homes all day, Brittany and Jeff Kitchen, founders of Vantage Build home design and construction, found the perfect location for their own abode after scouting lots for a year. The property sits on a quaint tree-lined street in Rothesay, New Brunswick, Canada, dotted with classic homes and a view of the Kennebecasis River. The Kitchens’ own dream modern-lined home needed to fit within the context of revived turn-of-the-century neighbors that would surround it, without the new build sticking out. “We always gravitated towards a mid-century style home and had trouble finding one we could purchase in the past,” Brittany shares, “So we decided to create one!” The entire design/build process took six months, completed in-house by their small and mighty team.

At first, some of the neighbors were not overly pleased this home was being built, with many objecting to the modern aesthetic. As the design took shape and the Kitchens moved in, they felt a definite shift in the community perception. “Neighbors became more positively engaged and interested in what was happening next, strangers were dropping by to ask where we were sourcing materials from, and we actually made new friends as a result,” Brittany explains. “It was really rewarding to see the community rally with us.”

The home provides an ideal lifestyle for the couple and their pup, Ruby. It’s not too big, has a highly functional layout that allows for comfortable entertaining with friends, family, and their pets. When not at home, the location is within walking distance to the office, parks for dog walks, and wooded trails to keep up with their active and social lives. —Annie

Photography by Jordan Mattie

1. Chantel says:

Everything is so beautiful.

2. Sarah says:

Can anyone tell me about the flooring? guesses are fine too! is it hickory? bamboo?

1. Hi Sarah – I can! This is an oil-based white oak floor. The oil base gives it that matte look (easy to get rid of scratches too).

1. Anita says:

I love the floor too

3. Penny says:

This is near perfect, I love the way they’ve warmed up their MCM aesthetic with wood and natural accessories. I’m painting my stair risers black this weekend!

4. Trevor says:

Great spot! Modern but still very warm. Absolutely all in the details.

5. steph z says:

Would love to know where the leather sofa is from? Gorgeous house by the way. The flow is so open and nice.

1. You’re sweet Steph. The couch is the Reverie couch from EQ3 a Canadian company!

6. Thanks for sharing his home– it has a great flow with a peaceful energy.

7. Rebecca says:

Your house is gorgeous. The bathrooms and kitchen are exactly how I would do it. Props!

8. Nicole says:

Absolutely gorgeous – right down to the details! Huge kudos to the Kitchens!

May I ask if that’s the Winston bed from EQ3? We’ve been looking at it (we’re in Montreal) as an option for our king-sized mattress with box spring – so few stylish beds available if you don’t want to go platform. :)

1. Thank-you so much Nicole! You got the bed, it is EQ3’s Winston. We opted for the higher headboard @ 39”, definitely recommend it.

9. Shelly says:

What a beautiful home. Would you mind mentioning where the grey sofa and the office desk are from? Thanks!

1. Sure thing, the grey couch in the flex space is the Kivik from IKEA and the office desk is from EQ3.

10. Kitt says:

Black stairs risers! That just makes perfect practical sense, besides being a stunning aesthetic choice.

11. madlyn says:

How exciting to see a sneak peek from New Brunswick where I grew up! (Edmundston) Beautiful job. and the “flex space” is very clever.

12. Jag Nagra says:

What a dream!!!!!!

13. Whitney says:

Would LOVE to know where the dining chairs are from? Gorgeous! Thanks:)

1. The dining chairs are crazy comfy. People do not want to get up after dinner, after drinks, or even after the drinks are gone. They are Ringo Chair from The Goods: http://thegoodshome.com/ringo-chair

14. Sadie says:

where is the console sink in the bathroom from?

15. Tonya Meadows says:

Great house. Can you tell me where the lounge room rug is from? Thx 😀

1. You got it Tonya (and thank-you): that rug is from Target, it’s Nate Berkus.

16. Cocora says:

I love this place!

17. Jill says:

Beautiful home! I am in the middle of ripping the carpet off of our stairs to replace the treads and have been looking for ideas for the risers. I love the black risers! I hadn’t considered that. The whole house is really tranquil. The wood tones work wonderfully to warm up the grays. I am a huge fan of warm woods mixed with grays, so your whole house really spoke to my personal tastes. Clean but not cold, minimal but not without visual interest. Really well done!

18. Molly says:

So incredible! Where are the lamps in the entryway from?

19. Jen says:

Gorgeous home and decor. Love the simplicity and character. I would love to know where your kitchen pendants are from, as well as the chandelier over the dining table. Thanks!

20. Kelly says:

I’m so excited to see this beautiful home just down the road from me in New Brunswick (I’m in Fredericton)! Love this minimal but very functional kitchen and the natural materials used. Also adore the front door and skylight.

1. Jody Schwallier says:

Is there a photo of the exterior, would love to see the outside. Thanks! Jody