A Colorful Ohio Rental For a Vibrant Family

Share It

On a wall in the Noel home hangs a very special piece of art. The painting is an abstract mixture of blues, green, red, yellow, orange, and black. It’s vibrant and compelling, much like the Noels themselves. Lauren, and her youngest son Keegan (age seven), created the painting together. Mother and son recently had an art show entitled “Us” at The Creative Clubhouse in Cleveland, OH displaying 20 of their collaborations. But the original that hangs on the boys’ bedroom wall, the very first painting they created together, is not for sale. It remains as a testament to this family’s colorful life and spirit.

The Noel family — made up of Lauren and her husband Rian, sons Dylan (age eight) and Keegan, and their “fur creatures,” cat Margot Tenenpaw, and dogs Edie and Mowgli — recently moved from Florida to Cleveland. Lauren describes the move as an act of faith. They left behind family and friends, year-round sun and warmth, and a house just minutes from the beach. They did it in hopes of getting Keegan more therapies and better schooling for his autism. Once there, Lauren says they “fell hard and fast for the city. It’s a place that’s underrated and a true hidden gem. It’s full of so much life and culture. I know Rian and I both feel like we can plant our feet here.”

And plant their feet they did. What Lauren, an artist, and Rian, who works in the hotel industry, have been able to accomplish through a mixture of paint and original art in the eight months they’ve lived in their Cleveland Heights rental is mind-boggling. Lauren says using lots of color makes their rental feel “homey” and is a way of bringing with them a piece of their Florida life. As Vincent Van Gogh said, “Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” Lauren and Rian painted the living room of the 1925 Colonial three different times with three different greens in their quest for the right emerald hue. Lauren also commissioned her friend and fellow artist Rachel Angelique Dewey to hand-paint flowers in the bathroom. And they’ve assembled a stunning array of furniture and décor from visits to thrift stores, finds picked up off the side of the road, and pieces passed down from family. This series of small things, brought together by a love of color, has resulted in something truly great. As Lauren says, “Color gives me life.” —Liberty

Photography by Heidi M. Rolf

1. Danielle says:

This house is so warm, inviting, and vibrant! The perfect space for a creative young family.

2. Nina says:

So pretty! My dream is to live in a house like this.

3. Margot says:

Such a beautiful home. That bathroom!

4. Kiki says:

I too fell immediately for this beautiful home with great light, many windows, many extras (look at those door frames!) and simply the space (I wd have rented it just for that gorgeous bathroom!!)….
    I don’t feel it is ‘too colourful’ – I expected a riot of colours, to the contrary, most of the rooms to me seem to ooze either calm or joie-de-vivre. I personally couldn’t live in a curry-coloured room but I painted a toilet room yellow, had it tiled half-up in period-style white with a yellow band of smaller tiles, hung it with themed pictures – all in thrifted yellow frames and it makes me smile every time I go to the loo – so I have every understanding for the joy their room gives them.
    But most importantly, I deeply admire the family to uproot themselves to go to a place which provides better help for their son! THAT is LOVE – I live abroad with Hero Husband and missing the family is one of the hardest things even though we have fantastic communication means at hand. THANK YOU for doing that for your child. You are wonderful :)

5. I’m not one for vibrant and colourful, but that pink bedroom had me looking!

6. kellyjo says:

Thank you for introducing me to so much art and a beautiful family home I wouldn’t have known about otherwise.

7. madlyn says:

What a beautiful home !The colors are amazing!I wish your son great success in his new environment.

8. Krissy says:

LOVE this home! So beautifully decorated with clean & simple detail and just the right amount of color!

9. Elizabeth says:

Love the pink flowers in the bathroom, however don’t think my hubby would feel the same way :-\ Very beautiful home though :-)

10. Tini says:

Welcome to Cleveland! As an artsy family, you’ve probably already visited MOCA but if not I hope you can stop by.

11. C A says:

Loving the flowers painted onto the wall in the bathroom!

I am hesitant to put original art (which is all I have) in the bathroom because of the damage that the moisture can cause so this is an eloquent solution.

12. Abigail says:

So beautiful! And I really appreciate such affordable sources!

13. Aimee says:

Hello. Lovely! Please what is the pink paint on the bedroom walls? I love it. Thanks!

1. gg says:

yes, please!! It says it’s from Walmart, but the color would be very much appreciated!!

14. That bathroom is SO cute!

xo
    the pattern collective

15. Anna says:

It’s really nice to see such beautiful pinks.

16. Shibani says:

oh heyyyy fellow Clevelander here! You have a beautiful home!

17. Nancy says:

What kind of paint do you find best for painting furniture? Love the chine cabinet!

18. nic says:

beautiful, warm, inviting house ..

19. Hyderabad says: