How To Begin Again

How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge

With each new year comes a wave of emotional energy encouraging us to look inward to acknowledge changes we can make. Things feel possible and necessary, and that energy can push us through to February, at least. This is generally a good thing, but change is also terrifying and sneaking this s**t in literally six days after the pure joy and stress of the holidays is just plain rude.

A fresh start can come at any time, in any way. It might be a nagging feeling that you can’t ignore anymore, or a major life event may force you to rethink things all at once. Regardless of when, how or why, it’s never too late to begin again. You can embark on a new challenge, redirect an existing focus or come back to a passion that you abandoned years ago. It won’t be easy, and (did I mention?) it will be a little terrifying, but you can do it. Here are some tips on how. –Adam J. Kurtz

How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge
How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge
How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge
How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge
How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge
How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge
How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge
How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge
How To Begin Again – Adam J. Kurtz for Design*Sponge

Adam J. KurtzAdam J. Kurtz (better known as ADAMJK) is an artist and author of 1 Page at a Time & Pick Me Up. His dark (but optimistic) humor comes to life in an offbeat line of gifts and small trinkets. Follow him at @ADAMJK or in real life (he lives in Brooklyn because of course he does).

1. Lynn Haslam says:

Awesome, succinct, useful. Thanks

2. Audra says:

Perfect for my life right now. Thank you! This is going to help me everyday.

3. Natalie says:

I always feel like Adam’s posts come at just the right point in my life and say just what I need – thank you so much for everything

– Natalie

4. Kathy says:

When Universe sends sign . . . at a very appropriate time! Thank you Adam.

5. Mel says:

Perfect, just what I needed to read!

6. Kelly says:

I love these features. And like others have said, they always seem to appear at the perfect moment. Thank you!

7. Sonja Metz says:

LOVE

8. Lottie says:

What a great list! I definitely need a restart! x

9. Gabrielle says:

Ah needed something like this today, or rather for this year. Thank you so much Adam. I will try charging ahead!

10. Kaitlyn says:

This is the list I need! May print it and pin it all over the room!

11. Cat says:

So good. Anyone could use this as a reset method any time, even if they intend to stay the course on a job or project they can still reinvigorate their efforts!
    You should have these printed as a kind of ‘oracle’ deck that people could give as a gift or buy for themselves!

1. thank you cat! i will have some news to share soon (you’re not too far off)

12. I have survived as ‘self-employed’ since about the age of 30 when I came to the conclusion I was unemployable (educated in a seminarsy, two years military service etc). I like very much the above advice. I have just three rules I try to follow:
    – Any decision is better than no decision
    – Never look back
    – If you find yourself looking back, tell yourself it seemed like a good decision at the time.

13. stacey says:

wonderful – thank you!

14. Great and clever advices. I’m going to try to respect and follow ’em all.
    I’ve already stamped it on papers to point on the wall in order to have these daily in front of me to remember ’em.
    Thanks

15. Azza says:

Adam,
    This resonated with me deeply. It is 7AM here in Cairo, Egypt, and I have been staying at home with my incredibly supportive husband for the past year or so. I’m 4 years out of university with experience working in multiple fields like education, advertising, and marketing…without really finding my lifelong passion despite starting work as an undergrad to try and do just that! Anyway.
    Something in the back of my head has been telling me to do everything you’re saying in this post. To start again, somewhere. To tidy up that home office with the closed door, to begin, alone, and find my strength in working again. To put all those past experiences behind me and learn how to learn from them and not just bring me down. Thank you for that extra push, and for collecting all your motivational notes in this guide. It came at the perfect time. Sending you a virtual hug if that’s ok, Azza

16. Thanks for the reminder that “everything is a little terrifying if you think about it too much” and your well-said advice to “run into the darknesses… with your new flashlight”
    Love that.

17. Brett says:

This is brilliant. Thanks so much!

18. Karrin Joy says:

Absolutely wonderful and just what I needed exactly when I needed it. Thank you for sharing your wisdom! xo

19. Corinne says:

Ahh…the timing of this was perfect for me. Thank you. I “disappeared” for a couple of days to the Cardiff-by-the-Sea Inn to recharge, regroup and RE-IGNITE!

20. Tracey says:

I just love what you write! Thank you!

21. lucy says:

Sweet, but lets not forget your also not who you are because of what you’ve missed out on, of what you don’t know. So an additional suggestion is if you feel like an aberration from your self, not even just your best self, your core self, then retrace the experiences you identified yourself in, the personality traits and the intent for life and for yourself. Look into memories of the people who made you feel whole and accept that energy within you even if they are no longer in your life. If loosing your imagination means loosing the future self that you want to be, then use it best to serve you, to get back to the truer happy, kinder, smarter you. Don’t loose your grasp on reality just accept that you were never meant to sway that far from home so do what you must to be that self without betraying what is important to you. Though its not always that simple i guess focus on looking after you so you are able to look after the people you love for the rest of your life. Tell the people you love that you love them and talk to someone when you need it,keep trying till you get somewhere you want to be.

22. This is a great article, that I really enjoyed reading. Thanks for sharing.