Before & After: Barc Gets a Happy Makeover

Share It

Brooklyn-based illustrator Hyesu Lee set out to turn a bare wall into a happy place for her local animal shelter, Barc. “Actually, I live nearby Barc shelter and went there every weekend or weekday, after work, to volunteer to walk a dog because I’m a huge animal lover,” Hyesu shares. “However, I didn’t plan on adopting any dogs. And there was this dog, Dutch, that we took out for a walk a lot from Barc. One weekend Vinny, who runs Barc, told us to take him only for the weekend if we want. And ‘only for the weekend’ [became until] now — we ended up adopting him and now he is a beloved member of our family.”

Hyesu continues, “So I went back to Barc recently and volunteered to do [a] mural for them, hoping it helps all the dogs/cats find their ‘furever’ home.” Known for her really fun illustrations for such clients as Toyota, Boston Globe, Blue Moon Brewing Co., Dr. Jart+, Chobani and many more, I’d say Hyesu certainly accomplished her goal, bringing new life into the shelter. Click through the slide show to see her step-by-step process. —Erin

Photography by Hyesu Lee

1. Catherine says:

Dutch <3 I love this! Thanks for sharing :)

1. Catherine says:

p.s. Carlisle looks like Hope!

2. Sara says:

I love Barc, I love this mural, and I love the illustration at the very end! Speaking of, the doggo formerly known as Drew has been adopted as well—by me! He is my favorite floofball.

3. Bree says:

why the poop?

4. t says:

I love seeing the artist’s process for creating this mural. And Dutch is such a doll.

5. Kiki says:

This is über-cute, lovely, beautiful, inspiring, wonderful – and all those pets waiting (on the wall and in the shelter) for their new forever home….. Thank you to this outstanding artist and her work. What a great way to pay forward!!!!

6. Holland says:

Wonderful seeing how such an ambitious project unfolds, and the result is just magnificent. Full of feeling and fun. And what a backdrop for adoption day photos!

As to Bree’s query, “why the poop?” Because, it’s an inescapable part of pet love-and-care, plus it’s just plain humorous. I’m a pet sitter/dog walker and use the poop emoji in texts to clients all the time!

7. Li says:

I enjoyed reading this story and seeing this work. Very uplifting. Also happy to see such a cute shot of Dutch, that lucky dog.