Before & After: The Simply Grove Patio Makeover

Share It

When Kirsten Grove first visited her 1957 mid-century modern Boise, ID home, it was the outdoor space that sold her right away. “The patio was an instant win,” Kirsten shares. As an interior stylist and the blogger behind Simply Grove, Kirsten and her husband Shane knew they wanted to find a home in a specific style that they could renovate and make their own, with lots of space for their two kids, as well as entertaining guests. After moving in this past spring, the couple started working on their new-old home immediately. In an effort to make the most of the impending summer, Kirsten and Shane transformed their covered patio from a dated eyesore into a modern entertaining space.

The focus of the design was to divide the space up into distinct but coordinated functions. Black and white paint splits the room in two, with a comfortable lounge seating area defined by an outdoor rug adjacent to the kitchen and dining zone. Furnishings with slender lines in a mix of stylish indoor and durable outdoor pieces keep the patio feeling light and airy, while green planted accessories add life to the cool and calm color scheme. Here’s to warm summer daydreams just around the corner. —Annie

Photography by Hailey Wilson

1. Gigi says:

I love this space!! I’m so inspired by it. Great job Kirsten. I love that DS featured her because I just recently discovered her blog and I love the simple style of it.

2. Truvey Taylor says:

Great way to get rid of that red brick, when you can’t “get rid” of that red brick

3. Voke says:

Where is the outdoor chairs at the table from?

4. Abby says:

It feels so fresh. I love the idea of not using traditional patio furniture.

5. Love the black painted outdoor kitchen! Brilliant.

6. Kaitlyn says:

I love the result! That change with painting the red bricks is fabulous!

7. Rick says:

This kind of transformation is what inspires me most on Design Sponge.

8. Amy says:

I am so jealous of this space! And you did a great job choosing to paint the brick black. I also love how the green of plants pops against the black backdrop.

9. Jill says:

The black paint on the outdoor kitchen area is amazing. It looked so run down and definitely was not somewhere I would have wanted to have food anywhere near. The after is just gorgeous!

10. I am so ready for weekend hangouts with friends there <3
    Amazing job!

xo

11. Now THAT’s a makeover! Great job!

12. Scott says:

Loving this space! My boyfriend and I just moved into a new home with a great outdoor space. We are looking for ideas, and I am loving this!

13. KellyS says:

This looks pretty but I would have worked with the existing tones and used stains instead of paints. If they had simply added some charcoal black stain to the wood siding and cabinets, and then applied whitewash stain to the brick, it would have gone a long way towards refreshing the exterior while being much easier to maintain. Stain fades and eventually needs to be reapplied, but paint chips and has to be sanded before a new coat can be applied. Or leave the brick natural and just power wash it to refresh. Natural materials tend to age gracefully, and to my eye, brick is a classic, always in style.

14. Kari says:

Gorgeous! Simple changes but a huge impact.

15. Resin Bonded says:

Great look patio. I similarly went for a differnt look patio. I went for a resin patio more for the low maintenance, but I got a few paterns in there and it look amazing. Nothing better then chillin on your patio area on a nice warm day!