Before & After: A Modern, Wheelchair-Accessible Bathroom

Share It

Eighteen weeks into her pregnancy, Amy Webb, her husband and daughter waited anxiously to hear whether they’d be bringing home a bouncing baby boy or girl. As the ultrasound commenced, however, the technician hesitated. “I’ll be right back,” she quickly stated, and *zip* she was out of the room. Minutes stretched on and time seemed to stand still until she returned with their doctor. Much to their surprise, just as they were being told their baby was a girl, the physician revealed she would be born with extremely challenging limb differences. “We left the office with no answers. This completely unknown condition was either ‘incompatible with life,’ or if she did live, she was clearly going to have a host of issues, all of which would remain unknown for an indefinite amount of time,” Amy tells us.

It’s been nearly seven years since that scary day in the doctor’s office, and in that time Amy and her family have learned invaluable lessons about unconditional love, problem solving and how much of an amazing gift their differently-abled little one is. The joy and inspiration Lamp, the kiddo’s online moniker, has brought to her family even prompted Amy to begin documenting their life through her blog This Little Miggy Stayed Home. It was here that we first discovered her stellar knack for advocacy and the beautiful bathroom makeover we are walking you all through today. Alongside her husband, Amy’s merged modern amenities, stylish touches and accessible designs that work tremendously well for their daughter and are also easy on the eyes. Click through to see all of the ways they’ve made their space perfect for every member of their family, no matter their needs. Enjoy! —Garrett

Photography by Amy Webb

1. Holland says:

This is how thoughtfulness, care and love can make a space a thing of beauty.

2. kellyjo says:

I love this so much. The thought of use is so important in design, and it looks like Lamp can thrive in one of the most intimate of spaces (AND with two sisters!).

1. Miggy says:

Thanks! And yes, eventhough we only had so much room to play with, the space really is SO much bigger.

3. Bérangère says:

This was an amazing post. Nothing I can say can clearly express how I felt between the first impression “wow”, the pause, the tears that followed and the admiration and inspiration that I am currently processing. As a mother of 3 daughters who faces her own challenges, I thank you. Happy New Year! :)

1. Miggy says:

Thank you so much. I know how you feel… it means a lot to us special needs families to be included in the broader world and I always get excited when I see other SN families represented in a positive, also typical way.

ps if you ever want to participate in my special needs spotlight series I’m always looking for new participants. Email me at thislittlemiggy at gmail dot com. XO

4. Kate says:

Beautiful room and story behind it. Thanks for working to show us all kinds of families! Happy 2017 and keep up the good work. :)

5. Emily says:

Thank you for sharing a home tour that features accessible design! All of us will need it in our lives, some more than others. Good to normalize it and see it function beautifully for this family.

1. Miggy says:

Exactly! Most of us at some point in our lives will face some sort of disability.

6. Juanita says:

Love the adapted media console — such a great idea! Already scheming how I can do this in my own bathroom :) And you have a beautiful family!

1. Miggy says:

Thank you so much!

7. Mindy says:

Wonderful post! Great seeing how beautiful universal design can be, and what a touching story. Love seeing families like this and their homes.

8. Supersoar says:

So love this work, I will make this space in my bathroom :)

9. Gabriella says:

Whoa. The difference from the before and after is absolutely incredible. What a gorgeous space!

10. Rebecca says:

Amazing!

11. LR says:

Lovely bathroom. Thank you for featuring such a great example of appealing universal design! I really appreciate your efforts to represent all kinds of people and their homes here.

12. Amarie says:

Thanks so much for this. Would love to see more design highlights that take the unique needs of individuals into consideration. Gender and skin color are not the only elements of diversity to consider. (Dis)ability, medical conditions, economic class, etc. all could use way more exploration in mainstream media/design/imagery. Cheers!

13. Dealing with someone who came to need a wheelchair and assistance opened my eyes to the plain good sense of universal design. Congratulations to Lamp and her family for a job well done.

1. Miggy says:

Thank you. Universal design is truly a win for everyone.

14. Kaia says:

This was great to see, and I would love to see more stories like this. My mom was able to remodel her home to be more usable given her limited mobility, and to accommodate changes that will come with aging. Posts about adjustments for aging would also be great!

15. annton says:

Yeah to this and much more of it. “Wheelchair accessible can look that stylish?”, people often say, when entering my home. Hell yes, it should!

16. panneer says:

This was an amazing post. Beautiful room and story behind it.thanks for sharing

17. Joy says:

This Little Miggy Stayed Home is such a good read–I have learned so much from Amy and her Special Needs Spotlight series.

18. Mirdo says:

Wonderful article.

19. Vickj says:

Lovely article. You don’t have to go with the horrid hospital look to have a lovely space for someone with a disability. It’s something I’m constantly looking at with my husband’s needs.

20. My opinion is, in a small room, it is not necessary to use the furniture of intense dark colors. Use a range of cold colors – they push visual objects. By the way, thanks for your nice post. Keep it up :)

21. Kara T says:

It’s so awesome to see a beautiful, accessible design that is clearly thought through for the individuals using the space. I’d love to continue to see work like this featured here.

22. Kathy says:

Beautiful space and design.

23. Erica says:

Beautiful project, great article. I think this is the first time I’ve read a home design post that takes special mobility issues into account. It makes me wonder what kind of home design needs are not being met for other people with mobility issues (for example, older populations).

1. Grace Bonney says:

Erica

We have more posts coming on this topic, stay tuned. :)

Grace

24. Natasha says:

Beautiful design – I want this bathroom! Can I ask where the mirrors are from?

1. Miggy says:

Hi Natasha! And thanks. So the mirrors are from Pottery Barn, but I don’t believe they have the brass finish anymore. But I highly recommend them. They are medicine cabinets and I absolutely love them.

25. Lovely! So much thought went into this space <3

xo

26. Laurie says:

I think it is important to have a space that works for every member of the family. Great pics, thanks for sharing!

27. Kelly says:

This is terrific, for so many reasons. Thank you for sharing it!

28. Jessica says:

Oohhh! Can you tell me if these are 3×6 or 4×12 white subway tiles?!

1. Miggy says:

Jessica–These are 3×6 tiles. From Home Depot.

29. Flora says:

What a lovely family friendly bathroom and it looks so stylish too. You have beautiful daughters they will be spending more and more time there as they grow too :)

1. Miggy says:

Thank you! And yes, that’s the general idea!

30. Charisse Hampton says:

Thank you for sharing your family with us! The bathroom is lovely too. Where did you find the freestanding bath tub? It’s just the right size and adds great character to the room?