A Northern Norway Home That Isn’t Afraid Of Color

Share It

Simone Isaksen and her boyfriend Per-Aksel live in the village of Storslett in northern Norway. Six years ago, when she bought her house, Simone saw the potential in the late 70s home. The house was a good deal, charming, centrally located and she was especially attracted to the big windows in the living room. This last feature is even more important when you live in an area where autumn is marked by rapidly shortening days, the wettest season of the year, and which includes the first half of winter and mørketiden – the dark time – from around October through January.

Their home has three bedrooms (one of which Simone has been able to turn into a walk-in closet) as well as a downstairs apartment that they rent out. This added revenue facilitated Simone’s ability to follow her dream of opening a home goods store, Lykkehjornet (which means “Happy Corner” in English), which she feels is “the best job in the world!” One of the best parts of the house is the fact that it’s close to Simone’s shop, and anywhere else she needs to go — to the point that the couple doesn’t need to have a car. Ideal for Simone, because she still hasn’t gotten her driver’s license!

While some of us may initially visualize Norwegian style as being filled with minimalism, neutrals, and bleached wood, Simone’s home proves that not everyone adheres to that same look. Every corner of Simone and Per-Aksel’s home is fun, happy and energizing. It feels like the perfect answer to any creativity blocks you could possibly be feeling. The couple has worked hard to be budget-savvy with their updates and to banish white wherever they can. Their two cats Lilly and Sophie are perfectly at home in their colorful respite. —Rebekah

Photography by Simone Isaksen

SOURCE LIST

Living Room
-sofa: IKEA
-sofa cover: Bemz
-coffee table and chair: vintage

Dining Room

Stairway
-artwork: Lisa Love

Bedroom
-wallpaper: Cole & Son wallpaper, “Palm Jungle
-side table: leca blocks

1. Madelion says:

Where is that orange dry-goods storage shelve from in the kitchen? Love it!

1. Dianna says:

I could’ve sworn IKEA carried something like that but I can’t find it on the website and I’ve got no idea what it was called…

2. Absolutely love this home! Even though we rent we ARE allowed to paint (although not wallpaper) and I’m sort of dying to paint my bedroom…and this is inspiring me even more!

3. Kelly says:

Yassss this is gorgeous! I LOVE a playful aesthetic.

1. Jenny says:

Could you please tell me the name of both the artist & the large picture of the woman holding the baby foe with birds surrounding her in a black frame? Thank you.

4. BemzDesign says:

We love seeing our customer’s homes! Thanks so much for sharing. Best /Bemz

5. Jen says:

Would love to know who the artist is for the picture of the woman with the birds hanging above the couch. I love it!

6. madlyn says:

Terrific cats too!!!

7. ruth says:

Simone & Per – I LOVE your home! So much joy and colour and personality!

Thanks for sharing Rebekah!

ruth
    x

8. Rachel says:

So wonderful! I’m still renting so I can’t have this much fun yet but my burnt orange tufted velvet couch (it’s a mouthful, eh?) is just waiting to be in a room like your living area.

9. christine avajiff says:

you could do a shallow wall to lean against the wall and put wall paper on it. these days wallpaper is truly an art form note to renter

10. Daniel says:

Awesome! I like that house so much and the colors are definitely the essence of that space! Lovely! ♡

11. Tamara says:

Yay!!! Thanks for representing a home with COLOR. Great wallpaper selections, interesting blends of unique items and fantastic use of expressive art and color. Kudos. (We have been getting really sick of your usual feature taking zero risks; white walls and minimalism are bo-RING!!! )

12. Sarah says:

LOVE THE COLOR! Makes me so happy to see color instead of the white white white. The colors she has chosen are also great. Muted and not too bright… almost acting as neutrals. Great job!

13. Rachel says:

That black wall planter is simply amazing! Where can more of those be bought? I’d love to know!

14. Anna says:

I’m with Jen and Jenny – where is that lovely print from, of the woman and the birds?

15. Mary says:

Can’t believe the “brick wall” is actually wallpaper! I was going to comment that I loved the paint color! Such a beautiful home. So warm and inviting!

1. Kate says:

Where is the sofa from?? I can’t see it on ikea uk only a sofa for £1000 but looks more lime, been looking everywhere yours is perfect!!

1. Simone says:

The sofacover is from bemz.com :) couch from ikea. Its karlstad