A Golden Modern Playhouse in Sacramento, CA

Share It

On a flag lot in the middle of the block — their own secret compound — artist and surface designer Sarah Golden lives with husband Jacob Golden, a singer-songwriter, and their brood in Sacramento, CA. Their two-year-old twin girls Sadie and August, Boston Terrier Captain, and four chickens (Gilly, Biscuit, Peppercorn and Ramen) enjoy the modern playhouse vibe defined in large part by the addition of thrift store finds and handmade items into the home. The main living area, which is the living room, playroom, and kitchen, are child-friendly open spaces that still showcase the family’s style.

They have been in this home in the Oak Park neighborhood for five years. They’ve done a lot of work in that time, but it’s an ongoing process. When they first moved in, the entire house (outside and inside) was painted beige. They painted the interiors white to brighten up the small spaces, and knocked down a wall to open up the main living area. “The start to that project was a surprise,” Sarah recalls. “One afternoon I heard a loud banging, came in and my husband had knocked a big hole into the wall, poked his head through and said he thought we should take it down.” That renovation led them to discover hardwood floors beneath the carpeting, which led to working on refinishing and replacing the floors throughout themselves.

With so much of the home dedicated to the children’s needs, Sarah and Jacob converted the attached one-car garage into a shared studio. “I can contribute almost all the good things that have happened for me this past year to having a dedicated space I can work in,” Sarah claims. “As a working/stay-at-home mom, I’m able to harness the small pockets of time I can find throughout the day.” Sarah and Jacob continue to balance children, time, and work in a small-but-lovely home, working hard to grow their family as well as their creative ventures. —Annie

Photography by Sarah Golden

1. berryisland says:

Love the cactus painting!

2. Merri says:

This is the coolest. I feel so inspired.

3. Holland says:

Unpretentious, full of joy!

4. Kristin says:

Her art is wonderful! The whole house is great. Full of pattern and color and fun. I love it all.

5. Becky says:

Nice floors done yourselves! Can you share any details on the wood (trying to find a good one myself!)

1. Sarah Golden says:

Urban Floors, birch oatmeal! Affordable and the lighter wood really bounces light around.

6. Laura Irrgang says:

Thanks for sharing your home, Sarah-such a light, fun and creative vibe!

7. Jane says:

Repping Sacramento! Yeah!

8. Kim B. says:

oh I just love her work – I’m getting ready to buy some of her fabric right now! Fun to see their place, so fresh and alive.