A Dark and Moody Home in England

Share It

With historic details as the backdrop of their art-filled home, Nadia and Mark Singleton live in a 1,500-square-foot dwelling in Leicestershire, England. Built in 1919, their space is full of charming fireplaces, unique details, and dark, moody walls.

Nadia runs a 3D printing business that produces prototypes for product designers, jewelry designers, artists, and sculptors. Before that, Nadia worked as a scenic artist and prop maker, painting backdrops for theaters around the country. Her husband is a financial adviser and encourages her passion for expressing herself in the home. Together they have two teenage sons. Their youngest son loves math and science, while their oldest son is artistic, creative, and is also autistic. He can be loud and excited at times, Nadia says, so they wanted to build a home that could function well for him. “We need to be able to have our own areas and he does too,” Nadia explains.

“Our house, like many, is an ongoing project,” Nadia shares. “It started life as a small, two-bed house and over the years has morphed into a four-bed house, with some additions and changes of our own.” From making the space work for her family, to literally using it as a canvas, Nadia’s creative touches make her home feel personal and completely unique. —Tawnee

Photography by Nadia Singleton

Wall Paint on the end by Farrow and Ball in Mizzle
Cushion covers by HM Hennes
Festoon lights by Lights4fun
Sheepskins by John Lewis and La Redoute
Pendant lighting by IKEA

Bathroom
Hanging belly basket by www.violetandthistle.com
Toilet by Heritage
Artwork by Ibride

Master Bedroom
Wall Paint by Farrow and Ball in Railings
Butterfly prints by Rockett St George
Arrow by Aldi
Skull by TKMaxx

1. Suzette says:

I love Nadia’s home! The dark and moody vibe of the walls with the light accents and textures is a great contrast. It’s modern and cozy with the details she’s kept original like the fireplace. Thank you for sharing!

2. Anne says:

This confirms my vision of painting my bedroom this color. Any chance on sharing the paint color details? :)

1. Anne says:

Apologies, I see it in the Source list. Thanks!

3. Julia Eldon says:

I adore Nadia’s home so much and she has one of my all time favourite feeds on Instagram. Her house has so much personality and clearly so much love has gone into creating a truly unique home. Fabulous pics too, just love ! X

1. nadia says:

Thank you so much Susette! Thank you for your kind comments xx

4. Nadia’s home is stunning and she is a fantastic inspiration. Congratulations Nadia on an amazing tour – showcasing your fabulous photography skills too!

5. Nichol Naranjo says:

What an absolutely inspiring home and family!

6. Fabulous, creative, home made and inspirational home.
    Love it.
    Siobhan x

7. Amy says:

Two words, Fabulous & Inspiring! LOVE it!

8. Sukie Saito says:

I love everything about this house!

9. Donna Kelly says:

Nadias Instagram feed is a huge inspiration, not only is it the feed I go to to inspire me to tidy up, but she’s funny and caring and her style bloomin rocks! I blimmin love her! X

10. Katherine Ogilvie says:

Very cool home. Very cool lady!

11. Katja says:

one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen recently!

12. nikki says:

What a beautiful home, so cozy and inviting!

13. Lisa Dawson says:

Nadias home is just so beautiful and this showcases her talents perfectly! She’s fab 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

14. Diana says:

What a stunning home, so much personality!

15. Kirsty Griffiths says:

Really love Nadias home. It has influenced me to go dark too! So stylish.

16. Leslie says:

Everything about this home feels so cozy! I’d been thinking about painting my dark bedroom a dark color, but I was afraid it would feel claustrophobic. This makes me want to go for it!

17. Sheri says:

I love this, so ready for the white beachy trend to pass! (Unless you live on the beach, of course! ) :)

18. christine avakoff says:

the house is so contemporary without the open concept because of the use of colors, lighting and display of art. She has a fabulous collection of art and her kitchen bits and pieces so displayed become part of the art experience.

19. Paula says:

I’ve never seen so much use of dark colours before – and I absolutely LOVE it! What a stunning home. Love the use of colour and styling that compliments it effortlessly.

Nadia, thank you for sharing your inspiring decor and mix of modern and antique showing how IKEA and original pieces can really live side by side.

1. Nadia says:

Thank you so much, what a wonderful thing to say, I really appreciate it Paula. So glad you like it. I’m on instagram as @artynads if you’re interested in following what I do.
      Nadia xx

20. Maxi says:

So very lovely. Goes to show that, if executed right, black walls are not gloomy or too dark. That lovely kitchen table, the art, it all POPS because of those walls. Would move into that place in a heartbeat!

21. Jane Girginc says:

Nadia is one talented lady and I love her feed on Instagram. She has great taste

22. Olivia says:

I wish Nadia could come and transform my house. I’ve never seen such a stunning home! Me and the husband came to a compromise with Stiffkey Blue in our bedroom but I think I may have to continue my fight for Railings! #TeamStyleItDark

23. elizabeth says:

Where is the charcoal wallpaper from? Lovely!

24. Suzie says:

Love Farrow & Ball’s Railing and Downpipe. Which one is it in the dining room? Thanks!