10 Gorgeous Vases that Aren’t Really Vases

Share It

Bringing home flowers is one of my favorite mental health practices. I’m a firm believer that if I have fresh flowers on my dining room table, things stay tidier longer, and I feel motivated to take care of cosmetic improvements in my house to keep the good feeling going. Luckily, my husband is skilled at buying a few bunches of stems from our local greenhouse that create unique and gorgeous arrangements. These one-of-a-kind centerpieces call for pretty vases. My favorite “vase” is actually a small gold candle hurricane. The straight sides, tarnished look and wide mouth allow me to make fuller arrangements that standard vases don’t. On Design*Sponge, we’ve seen so many interesting and unexpected vessels turned into vases in our home tours over the years. Our favorites include apothecary jars, a pitcher and a set of trophies. Flip through the gallery to be inspired by these unusual vases from around the house. –Lauren

1. LizZ Holla says:

I personally REALLY love a old fashioned mason jar! Every time I see a blue glass mason jar at the thrift, I just HAVE to pick it up!

2. Natalie says:

As someone who never has a vase to hand, and has an empty Hendricks bottle, this has been such useful inspiration – thank you

3. Maria says:

I love it so much and thanks for a great blog!

4. I don’t think i even own a vase so these will definitely come in handy next time my boyfriend buys me flowers and i usually would have to steal a vase from my mum!

5. Erica says:

Great ideas! A nice way to add more personal finishing touches :)

6. Shibani says:

I attended a flower arrangement workshop at a local florist (lushandlovelyfloristry.com) and it had never even crossed my mind to use anything that was not a real vase as a vase until I went to their class!

They also suggested that you want the height of the bouquet to be 1.5x the height of whatever you’re using as a vase (this of course assumes you’re not doing a tight bouquet of a single type of flower)

7. nvrm says:

Metal tumblers and tins will rust if exposed to water repeatedly – so you may want to keep it in mind if you’re going to use something you don’t think of as disposable

1. Khanh says:

I agree. I was going to take one of my large Olive Oil tins and turn it into a planter…and this is why I clicked onto this article…but the key thing to do is to polyurethane that sucker!

8. Michele says:

Where can I get that cactus duvet/bedspread?