12 Nicely Neutral Rooms without White Walls

Share It

I’ve mentioned a few times before that I’m drawn to neutrals over bold colors in my home. It’s nothing against colorful rooms. I’m easily overstimulated by my environment if it’s too messy, too sterile, or too colorful so I find it way easier to build a room with neutral walls, furniture and plants and then add interesting objects and artwork that incorporate color (which I can add to and subtract from).

While I love a good bright-and-light room, a white-walled space can get boring quickly. There are so many neutral wall options that can find a good balance between interest and subtlety if you’re like me and prefer to keep the color to rugs, blankets and pillows more than on the wall. Neutral doesn’t have to mean “safe” either: onyx or deep evergreen walls can make a sophisticated impact without overpowering a room with color. These 12 neutral rooms from past Sneak Peeks show us how to keep the color palette minimal without defaulting to white walls. –Lauren

1. Jason Evans says:

I like neutral colors and I think they are always great solution for your rooms. It takes minimum effort to combine with appropriate color for furniture and fabrics. Aside from the fact they are not demanding natural colors bring coziness and warmth at home. So yes, thumbs up!

2. Kaitlyn says:

I love grey walls. Perfect wall are the ones that feel comfortable.

3. p says:

Some great colors ! The color depth yet using neutrals works really well. But…. no color info ? I love the color info on the grey / brown in the last photo.
    thanks for these pics tho.

1. Kelli Kehler says:

Great point! Thanks for asking, we are working on paint color information and will update the story with those details soon :)

4. El says:

Modern Gray by Sherwin Williams (a dupe for Wheatbread by Behr) is among my favorite greige wall colors. Love it. Just wanted to share for anyone looking for a lovely, light, warm grey.

5. Robin says:

I tend to also gravitate towards neutral decor. I loved the gray office which I had to pin to my Pinterest board that’s totally dedicated to neutral decor (https://www.pinterest.com/RBR_LLC/color-my-world-neutral-decor/). In fact I’m wrapping up a project where the client chose a warm gray (Benjamin Moore – Whale Gray) that’s a nice contrast to the white wainscotting and new built-ins. The high contrast between a darker gray and white is a nice way to add visual interest to neutral decor among other design techniques to keep a room from looking boring.

6. I really love grey walls. Perfect wall are the ones that feel comfortable.

7. Shashinyc says:

Suggest Pratt & Lambert Rubidoux, a warm brown-grey that is easy to live without ever becoming tiresome.

8. Very beatifull design, congratulations, I love neutral colours in the rooms.