This has been such an exciting week for new books and book tours and all things publishing. So when I got the great news that Andrea Pippins was releasing a new book next month dedicated to discovering and embracing your best creative self, I was thrilled.
I’ve followed Andrea since her Fly blog days and absolutely loved her last book, I Love My Hair, a coloring-book ode to natural curly, braided and coiled hair. Andrea has done so much to creatively document, examine and honor her experiences as an African-American woman and I am so thankful to have her voice as a part of this community. On October 11th, her new book, Becoming Me, will hit shelves and bookstores everywhere and encourage people to live a creative life and find their own artistic voice through drawing, painting and writing. In addition to creative art prompts, Andrea’s book also gives you practical real-world tips for sharing your art online and to keep you working through creative blocks. I love the upbeat way she approaches the creative process and how easy it is to find your inner artist by following her colorful and creative prompts. This is definitely a must-buy for anyone who wants to nurture (or find) their inner artist or knows someone that should, too. Check out Andrea’s book here to pre-order a copy. I just picked up a few for early holiday gifts for friends and family. xo, grace
- Back to School: This article about back-to-school outfits that beloved fashion editors/icons wore when they were younger is a must-read.
- Art to Go: The NYC MTA is looking for artists to work on subway murals! This is the coolest project. If you’re an artist, check it out.
- In Books: I love this interview with Lisa Lucas in the NY Times. She gives me so much hope for the future of publishing.
- Time to Cook: Speaking of books, Julia’s book, Small Victories, is out and I could not be prouder of her. Pick up a copy here!
- Hearts: This dress is, as the kids say, everything. I want to wear outfits covered in hearts, too.
- What TO Wear: If you missed this INCREDIBLE article about aging and clothing by Stacy London, please, please stop everything and read now. I have read it through at least four times now, nodding YES.
- Must-Reads: Small Victories: Easy Healthy Lunch Boxes from Julia Turshen + Giveaway!, A Brooklyn Home for a Growing Creative Family, Design*Sponge Turns 12: The Lessons I’ve Learned
- Beauty + Self-Care: The Beauty of Self-Care: Lesson One – Patience
- Before & After: An Ugly Duckling Transforms Into The Belle of the Block
- Food + Drink: 12 London Food Instagram Accounts to Follow, A Recipe for The Perfect At-Home Bar with Jennie & Maria of Owl’s Brew, Dana Sicko’s Carnitas and Pineapple Salsa
- Life & Work: We Want Your Job: Penelope Dullaghan
- Interiors: A Souk Inspired A-Frame in Portland, OR, Exploring Nostalgia In An Airy LA Craftsman Bungalow, A Log Cabin in the Pennsylvania Woods for Two Creatives, In Vancouver, A New Townhouse Renovation Inspired by Lifestyle