Before & After: An Iowa Living Room Gets an Artful Makeover

Share It

Liz Lidgett’s clever entryway re-do earlier this year had all of us at Design*Sponge wanting more. Liz’s background lends to art being the forefront of any room she decorates. The art advisor and founder of Adore Your Walls has turned her own living room into a beautiful display of favorite pieces. When she and her husband, Nick Renkoski, moved back to Des Moines, IA from Los Angeles last year, they had a specific neighborhood in mind — the same one Liz grew up in.

The home they found in their budget needed some love. Its stately rooms, hardwood floors and gorgeous windows has made any room makeover a bit easier on them. When the couple moved in, the living room was a deep pink with white trim and brass accents. Liz, Nick and their families have since put in time, creativity and handiwork to turn the living room into a sophisticated retreat where they can host and relax. Having a large home with a small budget has meant that Liz and Nick have had to be resourceful with their purchases. “We were on a budget since we needed to fill the entire house with furniture, so I looked a lot on Craigslist and at garage sales. The great thing is, because we DIYed so much of it, I know there’s not another room like it anywhere,” Liz shares.

The gorgeous results speak for themselves. The brightly colored artwork pairs beautifully with a graphic black and white rug. The sofas look refined while patterned pillows and furniture lines give a subtle playfulness to the room. The black trim creates definition and shows off the beautiful charm of the room itself. The space is a mix of contemporary, vintage and modern design that is unique to Liz and Nick. “I wanted the home to be full of pieces we loved, not just stuff we had bought to fill space,” Liz shares. “We want a home full of art and books and music. We want a home where people feel welcome to sit down, have a drink, and stay for a while.” The living room now reflects the couple that lives there and the life they were hoping to find in Des Moines. –Lauren

Photography by Rick Lozier

1. Tisha says:

The whole room looks great, but I especially I love the piano area! Is that a floating shelf? Is it a DIY or can you share the source?
    And please, please tell me that you also put in the beautiful tile around the fireplace. I can’t imagine what kind of luck would be required for that to have already been in place.

1. Liz Lidgett says:

Hi Tisha! Yes, that’s a floating shelf above the piano. It’s 3 shelves we pieced together all from CB2.

2. Becky Cox says:

Hello! I am a photostylist here in St. Louis and recently relocated from San Diego via Kansas City back to my home town. I am a huge fan of your design! I am currently painting my den Chantilly Lace, Benjamin Moore. I can’t wait to accent with gorgeous colors like yours. Bravo!
    Becky McFarland Cox

1. Liz Lidgett says:

Thank you, Becky! So kind of you!

3. Tisha says:

Thanks for the info! I look forward to seeing more before and afters from your house. The two so far have been wonderful. :)

4. Kristi Kohut says:

So exciting…congrats Liz! So honored to have my art a part of such a BEAUTIFUL space! ❤️

5. Kim says:

WOW! looks wonderful!

6. Jen says:

What a beautiful room! Can you tell me where to find the colorful artwork you have above your sofa? Thank you!!!