14 Ways to Add Texture and Color to a Room with Cacti

Share It

We have a tradition in my home that, when something good happens, we go to the greenhouse and pick out a new plant. We are a little plant-obsessed around here, but I believe that a room needs at least one plant to feel finished — so the more plants, the better. The exotic look and (painful, at times) feel of cacti add gorgeous texture and color to any room. They need to be displayed in a place where they can receive decently good light and not be forgotten about, because they do need water every so often.

But don’t fret, decorating with cacti is easy because they are automatic showstoppers in any space where they’re able to thrive. For inspiration, flip through this roundup of 14 rooms that perfectly decorate with cacti. –Lauren

1. Sara says:

Tips on how to pot up a cactus would be great. I really want one, but am not sure how best to tackle the prickly plant!

1. Sara – we work with a woman (also named Sara!) who has devoted her life to growing and raising succulents. We’ve put together planting and care tips based on her experience that you may find helpful!

2. Diane says:

cacti are my favorites! I agree, how about some advice on how to pot one without my fingers looking like pin cushions? big ones and small table sized cacti…everything but the CHOLLA cactus. Ouch!!

1. Katie says:

I have like 30 cactuses (for real lol) and the best way Ive found is to wear gloves for one and i wait until the day i HAVE to water- where the soil is ultra dry- i take a shovel and go around the base of the old pot to loosen the soil (its soo much easier if you have ultra dry soil). Then I take a thick layer of newspaper, like 5 layers and then fold in half for more thickness and wrap it around the cactus. I keep it around it to pull/dump the cactus out, to transplant and hold while I’m repositioning the cactus in its new pot. i haven’t found an easier, less painful way than this yet and it works really well for me :) it works so well i don’t use gloves half the time

3. Kaitlyn says:

Perfect plant for decorating a house! It fits everywhere!

4. sarah says:

but where do you buy big ones? i want a big cactus!

5. lk says:

PLEASE do not suggest cactus for indoor decoration. Cacti need full sun, at least six or more hours a day!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Ik

I’ve had cacti and succulents in all my apartments (indoors) without any problem. As long as they have full sun indoors, I’ve never had a problem keeping them thriving- especially in something bright, like a bay or alcove window.

Grace