An Ontario Home Filled with Art, Light, and Love

Share It

Social media has the ability to tint most things with rose-colored glasses and pretty filters, making it hard to determine what’s real and what’s not — so when you come across an account or feed that feels genuine and good, you tend to take note. That’s how I felt when I happened upon artist Tahsin Dhirani’s Instagram feed over one year ago.

Fittingly known on the interwebs as Tahsin “the good,” everything about Tahsin radiates positivity and authenticity. From her bi-annual “The Good Exchange,” a gathering of likeminded individuals who meet for an afternoon to swap soups or salads (feeding their bellies and their souls while raising money to support a good cause), to her artwork which heavily features uplifting and positive words, it appears that Tahsin’s mission is, simply, to do good.

It’s no surprise that the home she shares with husband and Toronto real estate broker, Mase, and their two young daughters, Daaniya and Niyya, exudes the same positivity, authenticity, and brightness. “I want it to feel homey, a little arty, light, comfortable, and relaxed… I like clean walls and artwork,” Tahsin says of their home, which is just a short trek north of Toronto in Vaughan, Ontario. “I want it to be a very inspiring place for everybody in the home. I want my girls to appreciate the beauty of handmade things and design, because design and art are extremely important to me.”

While the bones of the house are similar to those of many other suburban homes built in the mid-2000s, it’s the attention to detail, design, and purposeful injection of family memories that sets it apart. The mostly white walls set the foundation for graphic artwork, created primarily by Tahsin, punctuated with colors that carry through the entire home; creating a palette of black, white, shades of pink, gold tones and wood.

Equally as influential to the home’s atmosphere are spiritual routines, like an iPod that softly recites the Qur’an in Daaniya and Niyya’s room throughout the day. “… For us, Islam is a way of life,” Tahsin shares. “My husband and myself consciously make decisions of how we’re doing things. The Qur’an being recited is important — it’s soothing.” Add in a healthy dose of found objects — sometimes literally found curbside, other times collected on family vacations in places like Morocco, Egypt, and Mexico — and you’ve got the makings of a home that’s far from cookie-cutter. And while some spaces like the living room and master bedroom remain unfinished projects, they are well on their way.

What the Dhirani family has created is not only a beautiful and functional home, it’s a work in progress that feels genuinely authentic. It’s a sanctuary that inspires everyone who enters and, most importantly, the family that lives there. —Kisha

Photography by Kisha

1. kellyjo says:

Habari zenu, Dhirani family? Asante sana for a beautiful home!

1. tahsin says:

Asante sana! though we are from east Africa, unfortunately my husband and I don’t know Swahili very well 🙈. but thank you for taking the time to read and comment here. x

2. Sonia says:

Beautiful home & inspiring stories.

3. Kate says:

I enjoy that you show some homes with ongoing projects that aren’t quite “finished” — I mean, are we ever really finished? It’s more inspiring, really. I like hearing about what people are working on. Lovely home and artwork!

1. tahsin says:

thank you for your comment! I agree 100 percent! actually, the house looks very differ t from when the photos were taken. we added in a craft/art desk in a small book in our upstairs hallway for the kids and have started on the backyard space. it’s never really done, but home is an evolving and changing space to fit our needs and where we are in our lives. thanks for taking the time to read through!

4. What a beautiful home! I love the simplicity and every little detail. Super inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

1. tahsin says:

thanks Amy! I appreciate your appreciation of the details. as a designer and artist, that’s where the magic lies, right? x

5. Jeri Schulten says:

Someone please tell me how to do the handprint!!!! And I love the idea of the kids art!

6. Jeri Schulten says:

Also where did she get the big hall frames

1. tahsin says:

hello! the frames are from ikea and the handprint will be available in my shop in spring next year. and thanks, I love their artworks it’s so free and uninhibited. something i as and adult strive to be with my art. x

7. Janice G says:

Thank you for sharing their story!!! I love the entry hall.

8. Lisa says:

Gorgeous home! Lovely choice of images, Kisha.

9. Erin says:

Beautiful! Where are the girls beds from?

10. Dana says:

I love the entry hall photos, where can you have them printed so beautifully- that large? I love the idea, art yet family, culture, background – touching

11. kathy says:

lovely home. looks like you all are very happy there. that’s my wish for you. :)

and a wish i have for me (if you ever check back to look for more comments) is that you will please tell me the source for the “greater than everything” art … like in this tour, i love it! thank you for that and for sharing your home through this tour.

kathy

1. kathy says:

that was meant to say “… like so much else in this tour …”.

i press “print” and “send” much too fast some days. haha.