Trend Watch: Flamingos are Flocking

Share It

For a while, owls were the bird of choice for many decorators. You couldn’t escape them. They popped up on candles, textiles and even soap. I get why; they’re cute, connote wisdom and have adorable eyes, but they’ve had their moment to shine. Now that summer’s in season, it’s time for another feathered friend to take over: pretty-and-pink flamingos. They own these hotter months, and over the years their image has become synonymous with parties, flourishing lawns and frolicking outdoors.

Here at Design*Sponge, we love the bird’s unique color and goofy shape. We’ve become so enamored with the flamingo as of late, we’ve rounded up some simple ways you can bring this warm-weather trend home. From simple matchbooks to bold wallpaper, each offers its own way of incorporating a pop of pink and is sure to add a dash of summer to your space. Some are bold while others are more subtle, but no matter which look you choose, one thing is for sure — these long-legged beauties will keep you smiling all season. Enjoy! —Garrett

1. kate says:

I am a huge flamingo lover – I have a canvas of them in my room and they are currently my phone wall paper. The ideas you posted are so chic and whimsical. Thanks for sharing!

P.s. You’re totally right – flamingos >>> owls.

2. rktrix says:

I’ve always loved flamingos for their color. But with the flamingo comes associations with a) Florida, b) the 50’s when pink reigned, c) the 80’s when punk reigned.

Owls are a little more ubiquitous, therefore more versatile? … are there any parts of the country where there are no owls?

1. Joe says:

Owls are everywhere, but I’ve always wondered why we Italians love flamingos so much. The only place I ever saw flamingos in Italy was in the zoo.

3. My sole act of vandalism was to get my little brother to help me steal some pink flamingos from a yard and plant them in front of a friend’s house. A friend who constantly spoke of flamingos as the ne plus ultra example of bad taste. Two days (late nights) later, we stole them back and replanted them in their rightful home.
    Flamingos in design must be taken with a large helping of irony.
    I have been to Lake Nakuru and Lake Elementaita in Kenya. Completely pink with flamingos. They are a sight to see. Amazing.

4. Batya says:

That’s so timely! This weekend I ordered a sample of Matthew Williamson’s Flamingo Club. If I lived in Miami I would probably paper my whole house (and not just the guest bath) in that print. Great round-up!

5. Jeanie says:

I’ve had flamingos on my mind a lot lately, especially having just returned home from a 2-wk stay in Florida with my husband for our 25th wedding anniversary. However, I was not fortunate to see any flamingos in person. But seeing all the above great flamingo décor and inspiration makes up for it quite nicely! And yes, the owls had a nice long run. Time to think pink!

6. I have photos of my own hand decorated flamingos for all of those bling lovers out there. I don’t know how to add a photo for all to see. Can anyone help me?

7. Natalie says:

Umm, I love flamingos. Always have, always will. The only bad thing about the current trend is that I do not have enough money to buy all of it. And when they inevitably return to passe, I will still have flamingos in/on/around my house. Anyone that thinks it’s in poor taste, can stay outside :)

8. Claire Papaz says:

I am a very firm lover of all things flamingo, including this rather retro design. If I could, I would use the very same, refreshing and quirky design in my own bathroom, but what would my husband’s reaction be? Not the best, I should think :(

9. Oleanda says:

I noticed this trend too this weekend when I went shopping. I actually find it lovely, specially on stationary and children’s clothing.

10. Ma Pax says:

Hello! I would like to ask if anybody knows who first entered the massive flamingo trend? Who was the inspirator? I think from catwalk fashion but i am not sure. Thank you.