More is More: 10 Maximalist Homes

Share It

The antithesis of minimalist design — which boasts clean lines, neutral color palettes and simple furnishings where belongings are stowed away or done without — maximalist style is dramatically daring and often laughs in the face of most design rules. With this design aesthetic being a feast for the eyes, maximalists believe more is more and embellished is better.

Harder to pull off than the in-vogue, all-white trend, maximalism comes with the risk of bordering into the land of kitsch or looking forced; but when executed right, it’s not just a look that’s worth the leap of faith, but one that celebrates personality and can be oh-so liberating. If you adore playing around with color, texture, pattern, and scale — and you’re not satisfied until you’ve found just the right quirky pieces for all of your home’s surfaces — then maximalism is most definitely for you. If you agree that more is more, then these 10 maximalist homes will tickle you pink (and yellow and blue and…). –Sabrina

1. I love maximalism! I always wish that I could pull off the sleek lines of minimalism, but my home just doesn’t feel like me unless the walls are absolutely covered and colorful! I’m glad to see this style getting some recognition.

2. Like anything that goes beyond the middle of the road, tried and true, it takes a strong personality and well-developed taste to pull of maximalism. Otherwise it’s hoarding.

3. Hannah says:

I especially love the layered mirrors and the non-traditional bouquets prevalent in a few of these (huskcherries?) Thanks for providing inspiration that says it’s okay to go beyond pale tones and all white. I have felt so discouraged by the minimalist trend and I appreciate that D*S is encouraging me to be myself!

4. Nicole Emily says:

Oh my god this is incredible! So much going on, it’s as if each room has it’s own unique personality! x Nicole

5. H-Grace says:

I enjoy seeing minimalist design, yet can’t live with it. It gets boring, living in a work of art. I wrote this quote on my wall: “That which we elect to surround ourselves with becomes the museum of our soul and the archives of our experiences.” – Thomas Jefferson

6. Hena says:

wow there is so much to love. That kitchen is so much fun

7. janicu says:

Yes to all of these homes. Loving them all.

8. Nikki says:

I am definitely more of a minimalist then a maximalist, but when the styling is great, more is definitely more!

9. Jackie says:

I love maximalism and really appreciate the homes that you show that reflect that style. So fun and interesting and inspiring. Thank you!