Before & After: Designer Orlando Soria Renovates His Very Own “Orcondo”

Share It

If anyone could rescue a dated 80s Los Angeles duplex, Homepolish West Coast Creative Director Orlando Soria is just the guy for the job — he’s one of the talents behind the well-known “New York-based interior design startup working to make interior design more accessible, transparent, and user-friendly.” Orlando’s boyfriend Edouard, a producer for film and television, has lived in their 1,600-square-foot condo for five years, and was originally drawn to its gorgeous light and expansive view of the Silver Lake neighborhood. (The reservoir at its center is currently emptied for infrastructural work, but the couple is looking forward to the day it’s once again filled with water.) Edouard always intended to renovate, but it wasn’t until Orlando pitched in his expertise that they got to work updating the worn finishes and highlighting interesting, period-specific features.

The unusual spatial arrangement proved a worthy foe, even for the experienced designer. “My goal with the whole project was to honor the original architecture while updating it and taking away some of its offenses,” Orlando shares. “Because this building was built so that each condo would have a full view of the reservoir, there are a lot of diagonal angles that were challenging to decorate around.” For example, the triangular living room required a unique furniture layout to function adequately for the couple’s needs. They rearranged the room five times before they settled on the present iteration.

With a deep and abiding love for art and objects, the renovated condo functions as a blank canvas for the couple’s collections of lovely things. Hardwood flooring throughout counterbalances the white walls and provides visual warmth. After eight months in the finished space, Orlando has found that the abundant light streaming through the living room’s double-height windows serves his photo shoots and creative endeavors well. The multipurpose TV loft can function as a bedroom or an office if need be, but also offers an intimate space in which to relax and watch TV. Proudest of all, Orlando worked his magic on the spiral staircase, turning its retro look into a graphic black sculpture within a home gallery of beautiful design. —Annie

Photography by Tessa Neustadt

1. Erin says:

Love everything, what a stunning home! The master bedroom is amazing.

2. Dana Decals says:

Really love the use of different shades and hues of blue throughout the renovation. It’s subtle, and cool how blue just pops up somewhere everywhere you look.

3. JT says:

This is simply stunning.

4. SJ says:

Sigh. Love how the space is so much brighter and more inviting. Could you id the wicker? chairs the in living room please, they’re gorgeous.

5. Vanessa says:

Thanks for the extra effort that went into the before and after photographs that were placed together so that I could easily see the changes. The bathroom improved so much with the walls down.

6. linda says:

Wow-not something i would think of as “my style”at all-but an amazing makeover ! The guest bedroom is glorious !

7. Jason says:

Curious about sourcing the faucet in the kitchen.

1. Orlando says:

Hi Jason! The kitchen faucet is from Delta!

8. Stephanie says:

Where are those living room woven chairs from? Perfect for the space and gorgeous!

9. Melanie says:

Absolutely beautiful! As someone who has been contemplating using Homepolish for interior design work, this has definitely inspired me. What is the average budget for work of this caliber if I may ask?

10. Dying to know the source of the master vanity. It is exactly what I want for a remodel. Is Orlando willing to give the source?

11. Rose says:

I always look out for the Before and After posts. But this particular one has been my best to date. I felt as if I was taking part in a house tour, enjoyable at that. I must congratulate the Designer for achieving such amazing results, particularly since he was working with a house that had a number of odd angles. His Living room / dining room furniture layout was very clever. There was only one decor element that struck me as odd. I am not too sure if it had more to do with the angle of the photo shot, but it was the first bathroom – that overhead Tom Dixon light fitting seemed a bit too low. But in the bigger scheme of this fabulous interior, that is but a small blip on the radar. Well done!!

12. Claire says:

I’m a lurker not a poster on DS, but this overhaul is phenomenal! I really love seeing something so old fashioned and difficult be transformed into something that’s not over zealous, but livable and beautiful.

13. Arianna says:

The change is huge and so incredibly beautiful! I love the new fireplace so much and the room looks so much brighter now!

Aria

pandaonavespa.wordpress.com

14. Emily says:

Love the living room. Where are the pedestal side tables from? Specifically the one next to the sofa..

15. Leslie says:

As dramatic as some of the changes were, it’s nice seeing how even the small changes made a big difference too. Love this space!

16. Lydia says:

I’d love a source for the bathroom cabinetry!

17. Wow, that is an amazing color in the bedroom. The subtle green in the blue keep it really fresh.

18. Sophie says:

This is really inspiring. I’m currently humming and hawing over whether to take on a really ugly sixties house with good bones – this makes me feel like amazing transformations are possible

19. Aidel.K says:

Just gorgeous! I’m really curious about 2 things: Is that a Bertozzoni stove? (If so, do you like it?) & Is that a curbless shower in the beautiful master bath (as in ADA)? If so, I’d love to hear how it’s working out.

20. Nikki says:

Such a beautiful space, that kitchen is perfection!

21. Allie says:

This whole space is stunning… I find the mirror with rope running the long length of the fireplace particularly brilliant!