A Cheery Midwestern Home Dedicated to Keeping Spirits High

Share It

How many times have you come home from a long day, unlocked the door and let out a sigh? That’s one of those moments when you feel it: the loving embrace of a place that just gets you. At times like these, you feel just how grand of an effect your surroundings have on your state of mind. The past five years have taught me the importance of crafting my own cozy, welcoming nest. I do live in Chicago after all, a city known for its unseasonably chilly springtime. When I’m not too keen on venturing outdoors, I’m kept sane knowing I have a spot indoors to enjoy.

Two fellow Midwesterners who understand the importance of a comfy home are Avery and Kait Schroeder, the founders of Pink Linen Designs. Their 1950s, split-level house is located right outside Minneapolis, MN, another city familiar with chilly springs. That being said, the couple and their three girls are often cooped up inside with only their imaginations and each other to keep them occupied. Not a pair to let the winter blues linger around their home, Kait and Avery have gone out of their way to infuse color and light into the space. They’ve painted the walls a brilliant shade of white that bounces light around in spades and gives each room an open-air vibe that beckons the family out of their cozy beds. When they do finally throw off their warm blankets, the sleepy-eyed group follows the house’s new, white-washed floors past colorful decorations to the kitchen for breakfast.

This is an artistic group, and many of those punchy decorations are of the family’s own making. Kait and Avery are so dedicated to keeping their daughters’ wheels turning when they can’t get outside, they’ve even reserved two of the home’s four bedrooms for crafting and creation. And the girls don’t mind in the slightest. Sure, it means they have to share a bedroom, but thanks to its bunk bed, string lights, knick-knacks and the craft room next door, it feels like a summer camp. Click through to take a peek at the rest of their “camp” and, in my opinion, one of the freshest fireplaces we’ve ever featured. Enjoy! —Garrett

Photography by Bethany Catharine

1. Sarah says:

I loved this house tour! The girls toon especially is inspiring ?

1. Sarah says:

Room not toon ?

2. Cheryl says:

Love the colours in the kitchen! Can you talk about the sources for the countertop and the backsplash tile?

1. Kait says:

Thank you Cheryl! The countertop is a laminate from IKEA and the backsplash is a clear glassy tile that looks more teal actually from Home Depot

3. I really enjoy how they have styled the fireplace.

4. Trina says:

This is so my style! I’d love to move right in! It screams welcome home in a quiet way. Love!

5. Jill says:

What a beautiful family home! I love how it seems to be set up to encourage family bonding and creativity.

6. Arianna says:

I love your style! It so feels like a home and I really like how you ranged the girls´ room and the kitchen as well! There is so much light!!

Aria

7. Kiki says:

A light-filled house with a lovely, warm atmosphere. Oh and those girls and their wide smiles – a happy family! SUch beauty. The girls seem, in any case, be warm enough as they are barefoot :)
    Brilliant idea to fill the non functionning fireplace with logs – looks cool and natural… love it.
    re floors: We are only two (apart from the fact that living very nr Paris makes our house somewhat a hotel…. with the guests just coming and going) in a stone house dating to 1920 and even I have to wash the tiled floors of kitchen, entry hall & ground floor bathrooms at least once a week. We use it as a ‘go through’ between veranda (in UK you’d call it conservatory, in Europe it’s a ‘green house’, winter garden – you get it, in France it’s simply a Serre), kitchen, garden, and as much as we change shoes, it’s always messy. So you might as well go for your White although it DOES seem a bit daring with 3 children, but hey ho, it’s natural and utterly beautiful!
    All the best to the family and thanks for sharing your wonderful home with us.

8. Maggie Minor says:

I really like how the color in the rugs and the books gives the room an extra sense of liveliness, while the wooden logs and brick bring in the cozy factor. I love it!

9. Jessica says:

i have to say, it would never occur to me to go all white. but this feels so very fresh and cheery–love it.

cactiandmountains.com

10. caroline says:

Hi and thanks for sharing your lovely home – it’s wonderful to see the colour of life (family) and the colour of things shine out against that brilliant white. Which white is it? It’s dazzlingly perfect!

11. Hillary says:

Do you have a source for the rug? ?

1. kait says:

Hi Hillary, we got our rug from land of nod a few years ago. I don’t think they carry it anymore but it’s worth a look ;)
      Kait

12. Ellie says:

Hi Kait! I love your space so much!! I’m curious about where you bought your flushmount lights. They are gorgeous.

1. Kait says:

Thank you Ellie! The flush mount lights are from CB2, I believe they still carry them, I love them!

13. Susan says:

What a stunning home!!!! So bright, happy and creative :)
    Could you please tell me the color of the white paint used?
    Thanks!

14. Margot says:

Simply gorgeous. Love the colour of the sofa, the rug and the beautiful weavings. Beautiful family home.