15 Pretty Picturesque Front Porches

Share It

It has always been my quaint, pastoral fantasy to spend summers in a historic Southern farmhouse, keeping cool while swinging on a wide wraparound porch’s swing with some sweet tea in hand. I’d picnic in the tall green grass, scheming up ways to fill the formal rooms with gilded granny antiques, sleek mid-century furniture, and exotic modern art.

Cut to my Brooklyn summer, where there’s no swing, no porch, and no relief from the oppressive heat. We’ve published some of the most inspiring outdoor spaces throughout the years to help city-dwellers utilize their exterior assets, or to envision their own ideal country settings. Here are 15 pretty picturesque front porches to help stir the imagination along with that icy beverage. A girl (or boy!) can dream. Here’s to welcoming summer! —Annie

1. Tell me about it. The French like to hide behind tall walls. No watching the world go by from your front porch. You do get the flip side–intimate, quiet courtyards–but as these photos show, porches are wonderful. Especially in neighborhoods where people take evening strolls.

2. Colleen says:

My goal is to some day have a front porch from which I can yell at the neighborhood kids

1. Caitlin Kelch says:

Ha! Me too – including my own child ;)

Caitlin

3. Nikki says:

My fave is the tiniest one, #11!

4. Prakash Ghai says:

Love “The house with the yellow door”

doesn’t look like it was built way back in 1809.

The design looks still quite modern and fresh, thanks to the aesthetics.

I especially love the horizontal lines and those mini-steps.

5. Emma says:

These are amazing! Can’t wait to be able to design my own house! x

6. Nicole says:

One of the things I loved about the house we bought three years ago was the bright red door. Later I read that colorful doors are a real selling point, and I get it. There’s a yellow door in my neighborhood that I notice every time I walk my dog. So cheerful! Love a splash of color on a street.

7. Personally, found the yellow one most appealing – I don’t know why, but I’ve always been charmed front doors painted in bright hues that contrast with the colour of a house’s exteriors, event if the outside window frames are simply white (or whatever other colour that blends with with the facade). Thanks for putting this collection together!