The Rhode Island Home that Settled Down a Wanderer

Share It

Settling down. You’d be hard-pressed to find a more loaded term. It’s the butt of jokes on sitcoms and conjures up stereotypical images of suburban picket fences, diapers, boring nights in and lights out by nine. No matter the interpretation, it’s always associated with giving up something exciting in exchange for something bland. No one ever talks about the mental aspects of settling down, though, or how it takes great maturity to do so. I believe, at its core, it’s an outward manifestation of how you’ve become settled within. You’re confident enough to start a new chapter, and you’ve found the right place to do it.

Growing up, Studio KCK’s founder Kelly Knapp followed her parents around the globe, living in 10 countries and moving “more times than she is old.” While her parents did a wonderful job making her feel comfortable no matter where they were, the constant shuffling never afforded Kelly the opportunity to 100% settle down. “I always think of moving and starting fresh,” Kelly says. “It has to be that ingrained, transient sense of being always on-the-move that comes with having an international upbringing.”

Surprisingly, Kelly tells us her on-the-go nature has recently waned, and Providence, RI may be to blame. She’s fallen so in love the city and how it makes her feel, she’s flipped the script and settled into a charming one-bedroom there. Once the home of one of Rhode Island’s founders, her 145-year-old space boasts hardwood floors, gorgeous original doors and an abundance of light. The natural light beautifully dances off her vast collection of vintage decorations, many of which her family collected on those storied journeys overseas. It goes without saying that each one of them holds great sentimental value to Kelly, but  she most cherishes how the home as a whole has made her feel. Here — like never before — she feels settled within herself. “I can’t imagine moving. [This home’s] helped support me in a time when I’ve sort of come into my own,” Kelly shares. Now that’s a powerful space. Click through to peek inside. Enjoy! —Garrett

Photography by Clement and West

1. Elsie says:

I love every corner of this beautiful home. Is there a source for that beautiful rug in the living room?

1. Kelly Knapp says:

Thank you Elsie! The rug in the living room is actually from the rug souk when we lived in Saudi Arabia. It’s a great piece!

2. Jo Ann Pedrotti says:

What a treat to get a peek into your home – it is even more lovely than I imagined it would be. And with your talent and heritage I expected a lot

3. Ani says:

I love the bedroom! What paint color did you use there?

1. Kelly Knapp says:

Thank you Ani! I used Glidden’s “Universal Grey” in the bedroom.

4. Kelly Knapp says:

Thank you for the kind words Jo Ann! So happy to hear you saw this!

5. Emmy says:

I live in PVD too, it’s such a wonderful place to be. Beautiful home! Love that it is so historic and full of things collected from your travels.

1. Kelly Knapp says:

Thank you Emmy! I love Providence!

6. Olivia says:

UGH PROVIDENCE! My home. I miss it. Beautiful space. Lucky you. Are you on the East Side?

1. Kelly Knapp says:

Thank you Olivia! I’m on the East Side in Wayland Square and love that I can walk to everything. And yes!…Providence is a pretty amazing place!

7. Sarah Murray says:

Beautiful home. Can you source the paint color in the living room?

1. Kelly Knapp says:

Thank you Sarah. The paint color is Gladden’s Universal Grey. I think it would work beautifully in a lot of homes. Very calming and incredibly elegant.

8. Lindsey says:

Where is the beehive print from? Love it!

1. Kelly Knapp says:

Lindsey – The beehive piece is actually a painting and is from my studio mate and friend, Colin Bliss (info is in the caption). The piece is metallic gold and black paint and is gorgeous. He has a series of pieces of all scales available right now and can be contacted through his website: http://colinbliss.com

9. Kate says:

It’s not possible for “one of Rhode Island’s founders” to have lived in a house built in 1875. A descendant, yes. The colony of Rhode Island was founded in 1636 and became a state in 1776.

10. Christine Knapp says:

Kelly, I love all the pictures of you “home”, and I am so happy that Uncle Henry and I got to see your beautiful place in person. Your deserve every inch of Your Home. Love you Aunt Christine and Uncle Henry. thanks so much for sharing your successes.

11. margarita says:

A beautiful mix of interesting pieces and decor.