Today up in Canada, we celebrate Victoria Day (AKA the May Two-Four weekend) — a federal public holiday in honor of Queen Victoria’s birthday. In a snapshot, it’s a weekend filled with fireworks, outdoor fairs, concerts and events, and most importantly, it officially kicks off patio season with backyard bonfires and s’mores enjoyed nationwide.
Leading up to this, my own backyard patio has been undergoing quite the transformation, so I’ve been on the hunt lately for inspiration, cool new products, and DIY ideas to help turn the great outdoors into a secondary living space. I’m sharing some of my findings in the form of inspirational feeds, songs, products and ideas to get you into gear for a beautiful and super-enjoyable summer. –Sabrina
- Although I’m hopeful for an early summer, it’s that time of year when it can still be chilly when the sun’s down, so this beautiful floral apple pie bridges the gap between sunny days and chilly evenings quite nicely.
- This week’s Instagram profile (and artist to watch out for) goes to Manjit Thapp for her gorgeous illustrated greenery.
- Claire Most‘s Instagram is another one to follow for ample summer vibes.
- I have a sneaking suspicion that Radiohead’s new album, A Moon Shaped Pool, will be on my summer playlist in constant rotation. If you haven’t heard it yet, you must!
- With the line beginning to blur between the indoors and outdoors, functional storage in a mudroom, garage or shed is essential for overcoats, umbrellas, gardening tools and the like. I love this shaker peg rail idea so much, I’m doing it in my own home this weekend!
- With tons of info on what flowers and shrubs grow best — and where — hundreds of photos to inspire, as well as trend reports and design plans and ideas, you can say goodbye to a solid hour (or more) of your day by visiting Garden Design Magazine.
- Looking for some outdoor DIY ideas? Look no further.
- Simplicity with craftsmanship at the helm, IKEA’s newly released VIKTIGT collection is made entirely from bamboo and natural fibers and can be used both indoors and out.
- Here’s a roundup of the best rattan lounge chairs for your patio, porch or sunroom.
- I adore these caged string lights and these Turkish towels (AKA peshtemals).
- And leaving this morning on an artsy note, I love these pink and blue NYC photographs that Italian photographer Paolo Pettigiani took using an infrared camera.