Balancing Retro Style With Color in a Small 1960s Bungalow

Share It

It’s so inspiring to see how different people use color in their homes. For many, the rule of thumb is to pick a color scheme for the entire house and play up hues from that same palette in each room. It’s definitely a tried and true way to make a home look cohesive and avoid any clashing. For Claire Brody, this rule wasn’t appealing when she and her husband Parker started designing their home in Austin, TX. Unexpected (and gorgeous!) color pairings have found their way into each room of the house.

Claire, a blogger and interior stylist, and Parker Brody, a corporate-level merchandiser for a sporting goods line, started dating in high school. When their degrees took them both to Austin, they fell in love with the city. The couple lived outside of the city when they first got married, but they were craving to be downtown. When the pair found this 900-square-foot rental home with tons of natural light for the right price, they jumped on it. Because they don’t own the home, Claire hasn’t had the ability to renovate it like she would want to, but their landlord has allowed the couple to paint, replace light fixtures and replace window treatments to help her vision come through.

Their 1960s bungalow is the perfect setting for Claire and Parker’s love for retro furniture and colorful rooms. “I love for a space to feel collected and unique,” Claire shares. “That was my ultimate goal when decorating this house. That being said, our home is also what I call my blank canvas – I experiment a lot. Through the change, I always aim to create a unique space that is inviting and meaningful to us. I love vintage furniture and accessories and use those items to add personality and quirk to each room.” Claire’s experiments in this home have definitely been successful — a result that balances sophisticated styling, playful colors and a vintage-meets-modern approach. –Lauren

Photography by Kayla Snell

1. Summer says:

So bright and cheerful! The whole house looks cohesive from room to room without being “matchy matchy” and that’s no small feat!

1. Claire Brody says:

Thank you, Summer!

2. claire’s home is one of my favorites- her unique use of color blows me away!

1. Claire Brody says:

You’re the sweetest, Cassie. Thanks for your support! xx

3. Carlin says:

Love the pops of color in all the rooms. The green window shade is pretty darn cute! Was that an IKEA lamp hanging over the kitchen table??

1. Claire Brody says:

Oh thank you, Carlin! YES! IKEA lighting over the kitchen table and in the living room :)

4. Brittany says:

Claire has such a wonderful sensibility for color–I’m always interested to see what she’s going to do next. She is also a very sweet and genuine person. I enjoy her blog and Instagram both a bunch!

1. Claire Brody says:

Brittany, thank you for the kind words and right back atcha!!

5. Wow! I love everything about this house tour. Claire has a true talent for designing bold, eclectic interiors that still feel refined and edited. Congrats on the feature, Claire!!!

1. Claire Brody says:

Thank you so much, Stevie! xx

6. Gwen says:

Love this darling bungalow home! Claire did an awesome job!

7. Those barrel chairs are small space perfection! I’m in love with the back height!

8. Mary says:

I’ve always admired Claire’s home. I like that she isn’t just following trends. Her color choices scare me when she’s planning a room. But when she’s done, the room blows me away. She can see how it will all work out when I can’t. Truely talented.

9. Claire is so talented! I love her fun sand fresh sense of style!

1. Claire Brody says:

Thank you, Denise! I really appreciate it!

10. Anneke says:

Claire has such great style! I love her work!!

11. JPI says:

LOVE the aubergine bookcase! The fearless use of color and scale is inspiring.

1. Claire Brody says:

Thank you for the kind words!

12. Elizabeth R says:

Details on the art in the first picture? Lovely picture!

1. Claire Brody says:

I found it on Craigslist..sorry that’s not much help!

13. Jennifer Cumbie says:

Loved the feature and so proud of how hard you’re working to build your business. Looking forward to our visit next month!! Love mom!

14. Jennifer says:

What a perfect mix of bold color choices and soft neutrals. I love the vintage style here, it makes for such a unique and gorgeous home! It’s so great, Claire!!

1. Claire Brody says:

Thank you Jennifer!

15. Mary says:

Now that I’ve seen your interiors, I must start reading your blog. Would love some info on the over-sized print in your dining room.

1. Claire Brody says:

Thank you, Mary! The mural in the dining room is from Anewall. They have great stuff!

16. Emily says:

Just GORGEOUS!! Can you share how you did the large black and white print in the dining area? It’s smashing!

17. Arielle says:

Love Claire’s style and her blog. That combination of wine, mustard, and blush in the master bedroom is so good, and that headboard is genius!

18. Jen O says:

just couldn’t help but notice the 60s color combo: harvest gold and avocado green, and wondering if this is part of a new trend in the making

19. Julie says:

So glad to see Claire’s home featured here. She’s been a must follow on my blogfeed. The floral wall mural is killer! And she’s done wonders styling the heck of that original kitchen.

roofrightovermyhead.wordpress.com

20. kelly says:

Hello! Such a beautiful home! May I ask where your teapot is from or is it vintage?

1. Claire says:

Hi Kelly! It’s vintgae :)

21. Lavues says:

Beautiful photos. I love this home always. The combination of colors always extraordinary. great job!

22. Chloë says:

The way they use colours is just great!
    Thanks for this!
    Love,

Chloë

23. Omg this is so cute! I love everything about it.

24. I think it’s so incredibly inspiring to see people who make a home theirs (and beautiful!) with what they have and what they can find without spending a fortune on all new everything. Wish I was better at that myself too!

25. Megan says: