A Cheery Home By the Beach in Oceanside, CA

Share It

Signing off on a rental home sight-unseen is a gamble. Rarely is it going to have everything on the “must-have” list. Arielle Vey and her boyfriend Bennett were living in a 1950s Oceanside, CA apartment just steps from the beach when they received a notice that they had 30 days to find a new apartment — the owner was turning their home into vacation rentals. Shortly after that, though, Arielle and Bennett received some good news: they could rent a one-bedroom apartment right across the street from where they lived. The couple took the apartment without even seeing it. They’ve since lived in their 1970s second-story apartment for three-and-a-half years.

Bennett works as a videographer, and since Arielle is an artist and freelance lifestyle photographer, she works from home during the day. When the couple signed onto the apartment without looking at it first, they weren’t sure if it would have the things they were hoping for. “Something I initially look for is big windows, an open floor plan, and any kind of view,” Arielle shares. “The apartment we were offered happened to have all of those things and more. The process of turning my space into a home has mirrored how I’ve grown into myself and I feel like the older I get, the more satisfied I am with my home. I make additions or little changes here and there.”

Arielle decorates with bright colors, mid-century pieces, lush florals and modern artwork (much of which she painted herself). The pair’s style is perfect for a casual, beachside apartment from the 1970s. “I wanted to create a space that allowed me to not only relax when I needed to, but stay productive while working from home,” Arielle explains. “A space where at the start of my day, the bedroom is in order so I can get to work and at the end of the day, the living room is the sanctuary. This means cozy everything, easygoing pieces, and simple maintenance. My goal for the decor was a mix of vintage-inspired modern pieces with pops of unexpected colors.” Accepting an apartment offer over the phone might have been a risk, but it is definitely paying off for this couple. – Lauren

Photography by Arielle Vey

1. Trina says:

What a lovely home! The pops of colors is genius! I’d love to wake up everyday in this house! Thanks for sharing!

2. Karen says:

What a wonderful home! I love the light, beachy feel – comfortable but put together. All the plants, art and accessories work really well together; they look informal but are placed so nicely. Even the kitchen has some vintage charm, at least in Arielle’s well-lit photos!

3. I love the space but that cocktail shaker takes the cake!

4. Sarah says:

I love seeing an apartment with “builder beige” carpet that still looks great!

1. Kelli Kehler says:

My thoughts exactly as I was editing this post! I kept thinking “I almost don’t even notice the carpet because of the design choices,” :)

5. Marina says:

Everything about this place just oozes California.

6. Emily says:

Aw I follow her on Insta and she takes the best photos! Her place is exactly how you’d imagine it would be haha. Very cute.

7. Emily says:

Is it strange that I absolutely LOVE the color of the wood cabinets in this kitchen?
    The house is totally on point. Lovely–fantastic styling and gorgeous incorporation of plants! Thanks for sharing!

1. Jen says:

You are not alone! Even weirder? I sort of like the idea of pistachio colored linoleum in that kitchen. I can only surmise that I am getting burnt out on seeing perfect, sleek remodels and am gravitating towards kitchens with a strong sense of character.

8. Great space in a great place. We would totally rent this place if it were on airbnb ;)

9. Darcy says:

beautiful, simplistic, and well thought out. love this place!

10. I love the reality of this place, and how far it goes to prove that you don’t need a perfect house to create a perfect home. Beautiful!

11. madlyn easley says:

Love it!!!

12. Diana says:

So nice how they added flowers everywhere. Something I never seem to make time doing. Really fresh style.

13. Frances G says:

You talk about the beach view but not one pic, strange you think?

14. Melody S says:

I was wondering when Oceanside, CA will pop up in here. Love your home! I am an Oceanside native, but live in the Vista area – a 1960s home which was flipped now with traditional amenities, but I am trying to bring back those quirky and midcentury elements. I would love to see your work in person!

15. Beth says:

Where did the TV console come from? Was it purchased or DIY?

16. Julie says:

Great space! Love the styling as well as the comfy feel to it.

Julie
    alohalovely.com

17. Anita says:

Yay for O’side, CA! 🙌
    I grew up here so it’s cool to see it represented so beautifully! Really love the home, it’s very functional and stylish! :)

18. AGNESE says:

Lovely apartment! The table is really great and the blue color shines trough the whole apartment color scheme. I love it!

AGNESE from theblogness.com

19. davina says:

where did u buy your tv stand?