14 Dynamic Rooms with Exposed Beams

Share It

In college, my introductory interior design courses were based on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. This concept was fascinating to me, and it has changed how I view almost every space I enter. The hierarchy spells out what humans generally need from the basics of food, water, shelter along with safety, love and beauty. When engineers, architects and interior designers work, designing a proper shelter that meets physiological needs is the most important requirement. Then, the structure’s design accounts for safety, how it works relationally, and the aesthetics that will inspire the people who will live there.

Post-and-beam engineering has been around since the days of the pyramids. As it sounds, this process uses upright posts with horizontal beams to support ceilings and walls. These beams can be wood, concrete, metal or composite. It’s a structural technique used often in modern (and ancient) architecture. Coincidentally, it also brings a beautiful, impactful aesthetic to a space when left exposed — or uncovered later.

Here at D*S, we love that exposed beams remind us that our homes are secure, strong and safe, while also adding to the overall aesthetic. These 14 spaces featured on Design*Sponge over the years show how the same building element can impact design in various styles, forms and rooms. –Lauren

1. Emily says:

I love the look of exposed beam. Hoping to have that in my next home! I think a dark beam with light walls contrasts so nicely.

-Emily coatandcoffee.com

2. Karen says:

Love the focus and acceptance of exposed beams. So much of the current remodel focus seems to be on opening up the walls and then tucking the beams up into the ceiling. I think nice heavy beams can warm the space and provide dimension.
    -K

3. Caroline says:

Love the look of the exposed beams! What is the name of that style of chair? I am searching for new dining chairs!

4. Edna says:

I love the one in the dining kitchen. It looks so much warm and intimate. Perfect for such a small space!

5. Grant says:

Wow, all of these are downright awesome. It’s hard saying, but I think the Barcelona home is my favorite.

And I love your perspective of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. I’ve never thought it like that before!

Thanks for the inspiration.

6. This is very inspiring! We just bought a 1990 post-and-beam house designed and built by Deck House, which is now Acorn Deck House. The architecture is so cool, but with the dark beams and wood-paneled ceilings, we’re struggling with how best to light it. I love these examples you show, thank you!

7. Hello,
    Thanks for sharing these useful information about keeping my throw pillows fluffy.
    Thanks :)

8. Tricia Rose says:

I tore down all my horrible popcorn ceiling to insulate and plank the underside of the roof. What a dirty job! It made a huge difference to the character of all the rooms (and made me seriously love my nail gun).

9. All look amazing, but I have to say that Luke’s Melbourn(No.8) is my favourite.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

10. fabulous dynamic inteior

11. Palm Heights says:

12. Sarah says:

Very nice slideshow, i really would like to have that minimalist wooden kitchen. Very Cute!

13. lenny face says:

14. Michele says:

I love open beams! My first home had open beams. I really miss them, my current home is what some would call “cookie cutter.” Open beams will be a “can’t live without” when I buy my next home. Loved this post!

15. veri cute and inspirated. thanks for shared

16. thanks a lot for sharing a nice article.

17. lenny face says:

18. go keyboard says:

19. lenny face says:

All look amazing, but I have to say that Luke’s Melbourn(No.8) is my favourite.