One of the most populated albums on my phone is the screen-shot album. One good look through this folder gives a pretty accurate dichotomy of what I like — interesting feeds, beautiful art, things I hope to buy some day, hilarious memes I can’t part with, and more, all layered on top of each other. I was looking through this folder last week when I stumbled across few captures that seemed to stick with me. They’ve inspired me for months or years, and in combination with some new finds — all focused around the theme “materials” — today’s flavor of the week is all about textures, layers, interesting materials, and how they all mix. I hope this mood brings you some design inspiration, feeds to follow, people to watch out for, products to browse, and sounds to please your ears. –Sabrina
- Nota Bene, a restaurant in Toronto, just go re-branded and their new woodcut-inspired identity by Blok Design is beautiful.
- I’m a big Gimlet Media fan, and in one of their newer podcasts, “Surprisingly Awesome,” they spend an episode diving into the world of adhesives. Trust me, it’s 10x more exciting than you’d imagine.
- A super-soft, textured felt fedora is on my shopping list this season.
- If you aren’t familiar with Bertjan Pot, you’re in for a fascinating ride. He first caught my attention with his ongoing project, Masks, and he never fails to surprise me with what he’s making (thanks to his penchant for material experiments and research).
- I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention one of the hottest materials out there right now: shiplap. Just search the word, and you can guarantee that Joanna Gaines from HGTV’s Fixer Upper will be found in the results; and thanks to her new home furniture line, it’ll be even easier to bring her signature style into your own home.
- What’s a week without a new angsty-love tune? Mr. Watson by Cruel Youth (think Amy Winehouse meets today’s pop songs) has been on repeat for me all morning.
- This week’s Instagram profile to follow goes to @Ppennylane a.k.a Ruken Elif, a Melbourne-based doctorate student who scours the web for anything to do with fashion, giving her followers a curated visual experience. Always random, always interesting (and always crediting)!
- Leather meets copper in this butterfly-style chair by The Citizenry.
- On the hunt for the world’s comfiest sneakers? Look no further than these new wool kicks from Allbirds (that are also eco-friendly)!