DIY Opalescent Drawer Knobs

opal.knobs.done3
I don’t know about you, but I’m not one to resist a good trend. However, I’m at the point in my life where I know that I won’t love some styles forever, so I try to embrace them in smaller and less permanent ways.

These DIY opalescent drawer knobs are the perfect example. I love the iridescent, precious stone look of them. They make me think of a fortuneteller’s crystal ball and sea glass at the same time. Right now they’re perfect for me, but if I change my mind in a year, I can always swap them out — or maybe move them onto another piece of furniture instead! —Kathleen Ballos

opal.knobs.done5

opal.knobs.supplies
Supplies

-CD
-scissors
-glue
-plain drawer knobs

Steps

Step 1: To crackle the CD, put it into a microwave and set the timer for 5 seconds.* It takes only a couple seconds for the CD to crackle, so when you press start, watch and be ready to press “stop” when you see the CD crackle.

opal.knobs.step1

Step 2: Cut the CD into squares of equal size.

opal.knobs.step2

Step 3: Place the squares onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees F for about 10 minutes, checking every few minutes. This step melts the CD and makes it look more opalescent and less shattered. When done, let cool and glue onto the plain drawer knobs. Let glue dry completely and then fasten knobs onto your piece of furniture.

*NOTE: This tutorial includes briefly putting a CD (which contains metal) into a microwave. I have not personally experienced any problems doing this, but skip this step if you’re uncomfortable. You can achieve a similar effect with just the oven step.

opal.knobs.step3
opal.knobs.done1

opal.knobs.done2

opal.knobs.done6

1. Emily says:

These are so cute! Never would have thought they came from a CD by looking at the photos.

1. Lily says:

I really like the idea to, I moved to a new home… And am so glad I can do this to my dresser!!!

2. Tiana says:

I’d suggest adhering them to a thicker back which is the same shape in size, to avoid punctures in the hands from the thin/sharp corners.

3. CherThis says:

These are lovely and so clever! Bravo!

4. o0krysia0o says:

This is great! Easy and beauty! Just perfect :-)

5. Michelle says:

I think this is a really keen idea. It looks really cool, but as a builder screams to me as a bit unsafe. I bet though, if you add a step where you triple make sure that the edges aren’t like a knife, it would be fine. You could probably do this before you put it in the oven. Simply completely sand all over the edges and blunt the corners a wee bit, then when you put it in the oven it may melt the sanded part so it is still quite shiny. If not try a butane torch, that is if you are comfortable using one. A little tiny butane torch gently along the edge of the cd piece, which is of course being held by pliers, away from your hands, creates a really beautiful rounded over edge. This will smooth out any rough, non shiny areas that the sanding creates. Anyhoo, that’s my two cents, as I imagine opening a lovely drawer to get a decent cut isn’t quite worth the beauty.

1. Kathleen says:

Thanks so much for those tips, Michelle! I personally haven’t experienced the edges being incredibly sharp, but you’re right – better safe than sorry! I actually used to use this same technique to make pendants for necklaces (I’d drill a small hole into the CD piece) and my mom has been wearing the necklace against her skin for years without any scratches, as far as I know.

6. Camilla says:

Love the dog photobomb:-)

7. iko says:

cool and inspire. like always.