Before and After: A Dated, Dark Kitchen Gets a DIY Remodel

Share It

Having grown up watching her mother flip homes — and with a degree in fashion management herself — it came as no surprise to Sarah Alchmist when she discovered her own knack for interior design and house-flipping. “I knew deep down I needed to be a part of some sort of art program, and I loved everything fashion at the time,” she explains, “[it was] a stepping stone to the world of design and, once you have a few bits and pieces of knowledge in that industry, you simply brainstorm your ideas — which shortly gives you the ability to put ‘pretty’ together.”

Just one year ago, Sarah and her husband, Presley, bought this Ontario-based home in need of some TLC. The quiet, country environment with “lots and lots of land for the kids (Aiden and Kendyl) to adventure on,” was the main selling factor, and the main deterrent? The dark and dated kitchen, which had sent previous potential buyers running. Rather than run for the hills themselves, Sarah and Presley saw this as an opportunity and, after putting in an offer, they rolled up their sleeves and got to work.

Built by a German architect 40 years ago, the unique and structural home had great bones but needed a complete overhaul aesthetically, and the room in need of the most attention was the kitchen — which Sarah and Presley decided to completely demolish and relocate. After countless contractors let them down and fell through, Presley stepped up to the plate and completed all of the work himself. “Every night, [Presley would] come straight home from work and work [on the kitchen] late into the morning hours installing drywall, taping, installing the plumbing, applying heated floor plates and then our tiles on top,” Sarah shares. “He painted, installed all the cabinets and shelving, built a custom range hood and ran a gas line all on his own… I couldn’t have been more proud of him, nor did he know he was capable of doing such work!”

Despite the aches and pains that came as a result of the hard labor, the couple not only saved a ton of money by doing it themselves, but they’ve both caught the renovation / house-flipping bug: “We’re both confident in getting this kind of work done as a team and we’ve talked about future projects,” Sarah explains, “even though it was such a pain in the rear, it’s an experience we’ve learned to really love; and after seeing what it’s worth, we don’t mind doing it all over again!” Now, after working their magic in every room, they’re ready for the next house-flipping adventure, of which Sarah says, “Our next home will be filled with much more personality, warmth and character and I cannot wait to enjoy that!” –Sabrina

Photography by Sarah Alchmist

1. Magnificent!!!. I absolutely love it. Should be very proud to have achieved such a project.
    Well done.

1. Sarah says:

2. Dre says:

Awesome job-the kitchen looks amazing!

3. Janelle says:

I love the results, and agree that they did a great job renovating and choosing finishing but I feel weird about a flip being featured on Designsponge.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Janelle

Can you tell me a bit more about what about flips in general feel like an odd fit here for you? I just want to understand that so I can see if there’s something for us to change or consider in future posts.

Grace

1. Janelle says:

Hi Grace-

I think there’s something about seeing a home that a person lives in, and has decorated to suit their life. I think DS has always felt like it takes a glimpse into the personal and intimate spaces, and seeing things like, “A Buyer…or the Buyer” seems out of step. Theres’s just such a difference between finishes a person chooses for themselves to finishes a designer chooses to motivate a sale.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Janelle

I totally agree and I understand what you mean.

That intimate “homey” sort of feel is why we like to focus the vast majority of our home/studio tours on spaces that don’t involve a professional designer or construction of any type.

But I think for the sake of offering some more options (and showing a range of budgets/styles), we like to throw in something a little different every now and then. I think this is one of a handful of flips we’ve shared in the last 12 years, so we’re still focusing mainly on those real/relatable homes you prefer. I know it won’t speak to everyone reading, but we hope that the mix we provide will give everyone a little something that speaks to their individual style/budget/process.

Grace

4. Sue Ryde says:

It’s beautiful Sarah and Presley!
    A job well done! All your hard work paid off and now you have a warm and cozy space to relax or entertain in!! Bravo!!

1. Sarah says:

Thanks Sue <3

5. Sheri Marie Hill says:

Wow Sarah and Presley!
    What a stunning transformation, this accomplishment must feel so rewarding. Looks like all there is to do now is make memories!!
    Enjoy!!

1. Sarah says:

Thanks!

6. Erin says:

Wow! Amazing transformation! I especially love the layout. Any idea on the dimensions of this gorgeous space? Nice work!!!

1. Sarah says:

Thank you!

7. Jessica says:

Wow! This is amazing! Is there anyway for you to list the name of the cabinets fronts and countertops from ikea? Did you alter them in any way?

1. Sarah says:

Thanks, Jessica.

Nothing was altered just custom fitted to our dimensions of the space.

Cabinet fronts are GRIMSLÖV

Countertops are KARLBY

both by IKEA :)

8. Aidel.K says:

Beautiful! Very impressive that it was completed by the owners.

1. Sarah says:

Much appreciated, thank you, Aidel.

9. Julia says:

love this kitchen Sarah, can I ask how you finished and stained the countertops?

1. Sarah says:

Thanks!

We didn’t add any finishes or stains that was how it was bought and currently used.

10. Heather says:

What did you do at all the treat the countertops. I have the same cabinet and countertop combo and am thinking of staining and varnishing them for a better more user friendly finish. And these are gorgeous.

Thanks!

1. Sarah says:

Thanks.

11. Sarah says:

Hi! I love how your kitchen turned out! I have the same wood countertops from IKEA and mine are much lighter. what did you treat them with to make them look so rich and dark? I would love mine to have a darker look! Thanks, Sarah

12. Sarah says:

Hi, Sarah

These countertops are the KARLBY by Ikea. They come in that finish.

Thanks.

13. Julie says:

Hi Sarah,

Can I ask where you sourced your tiles from?

14. Stacy says:

Hi Sarah,

Can I ask where your dish soap is from?

Stacy

1. Sarah alchmist says:

Home sense :)

15. Noor says:

These comments have me cracking up. I think you should have just listed everything in the pictures lol.
    Anyway, the kitchen is stunning and very much my aesthetic. I’m from the south in the states and love a country look, but I’m very modern, so to me this is the perfect mix.
    Will you be showing the rest of the house? It would be hard to move on from this, I love it, great job.

1. Sara says:

Yes. Can you list where the grout is from?

16. Norah says:

Great job Sarah! This picture is the most similar I have seen to the layout & style of our kitchen in our 1930s house in South Africa, and it makes me feel VERY inspired. If only we had IKEA here…
    Great work.

17. NYC Photog says:

Really great. Go you!

18. imdb says:

But, but, but there’s no color!

19. Gary says:

Wow! That really is breathtaking. A great improvement!

Gaz

20. Loving this reno, the wood with white is a winner. But I could live without that whole Borg spaceship cabinet situation.