A Mid-Century Home With Worldly Loom Goods in Salt Lake City

Share It

Seeking a clean, comfortable, and contemporary space that could still be child-friendly, Karyn and Dominic Blosil purchased their 1961 mid-century modern house in Salt Lake City, UT two-and-a-half years ago. After spending only 10 months in the remodeled residence, the family relocated to Portland, OR for a spell, and just returned several months ago. Settling in — again — with bright, organic finishes grounded by cultural fabrics and rugs allowed Karyn the opportunity to source many items from her own home textiles and accessories company, Loom Goods.

“I tend to stick with neutrals when decorating,” she shares, “But love to use a variety of textures to add warmth to a room.” Kids Julian, Lulu, and Nico require durability in their surroundings, but the most challenging part of decorating has proven to be the long and narrow orientations of both the living room and kitchen. Karyn often finds herself moving furniture around to test the layout options, but large windows and tons of natural light offset any minor difficulties. “We had just moved to Salt Lake City from Southern California, and I was homesick for that California sunshine,” she recalls. With a close approximation of her native habitat well underway, there is still much Karyn wants to do and decorate — but for now, she is grateful to be back in the home with her own modern family. —Annie

Photography by Becky Kimball

1. So many beautiful details. Gorgeous home. x

2. Emily says:

Loving this home! Especially the bedroom, and all the soft patterns throughout the house.

3. Rebecca M says:

What are those pieces by the front door? Folding tables or vintage camp chairs? I’m intrigued.

4. Kiki says:

A peaceful, light-filled home – courageous parents, all those light and soft colours with three kids (who thankfully look very much energy-filled!). Wonderful feel about it. It also looks a truly happy house.

A question which not only goes for this house but literally most of the featured places: How come that the (MB) beds are nearly always placed directly under the windows? I can’t get over it that the owners couldn’t air and also can’t leave the windows open when sleeping. If it rains it rains into the room and unto the beds, it’s not healthy and the rooms can’t be filled with fresh & clean air. It’s something that bothers me every time.
    Is it me being European (Swiss) and you simply have other meanings or understandings? If anyone could reply I’d be greateful. And I repeat, it not ‘just’ Karin & Dominic’s home, it’s something I see far too often and it intrigues me every single time. Thank you

1. Grace Bonney says:

Kiki

I understand your concern for people to have fresh air, but in this home (and most others), the presence of the bed under the windows doesn’t prevent the windows from being opened to let in fresh air. If it’s raining I would assume most people would just close their windows (or not leave them open when they leave for work) to prevent rain from coming inside the house (which would happen whether or not there was a bed in that position).

Grace

5. Alexandra says:

I like the simplicity of this home. Wooden floor and that wall. The kitchen turned out nice.

6. Su Dominque says:

Absolutely love the table, the simplicity but still originality of it just seems appealing to me :)

7. Sanj says:

Lovely home! I have so many questions.. First is what wood did this family use? Any details would be helpful.
    I am in the process of finding safe sustainable hardwood to replace the existing carpet in our 1987 CA home. I am always interested in learning where people are sourcing their wood from and what adhesives are being used now. Love the furnishings as well. Any chance we can get the sources ( LR chair, Bed Room Lamps and kids night tables etc). Would so appreciate it. Thanks -Y

8. Sarah Godfrey says:

Bummed that her site is down temporarily–I wanna buy stuff! :)

9. Stefanie says:

Gorgeous. Love the simplicity of the whole thing. Would love to know where you found the wire stools with the southwest motif on them (photo 6 of 16)? Thx!

10. Melissa Coberly says:

I desperately need to know where her dining room chairs are from. The weaved leather wood ones. Please please please!

11. Meg says:

I, too would love to know where those dining chairs came from, or who makes them! Fabulous!