10 Indian Textile Brands

Share It

Above all crafts, India is a mecca for fabric lovers. Textile designers and creatives have been flocking to the country for years to be inspired by India’s rich textile history in trade and innovation, and its vibrant bazaars brimming with roll after roll of covetable fabrics, trims and beading.

When researching for this post and exploring the collections of Indian textile houses, I began to remember the sheer amount of textile products that adorned our home in India.

For example, you’d think bedcovers would be a self-explanatory idea, but when I searched Western stores they were hard to find. A bedcover is a plain, printed or quilted sheet that goes over the entire bed to protect the duvet cover and pillows, because the Indian bed doubles as place to entertain family, friends and neighbors! Other popular textiles found in Indian homes include ethereal voile curtain panels — a necessity for balmy temperatures — and these can be found in every conceivable pattern and color you can think of. Also, guest towels abound — tiny towels with embroidered motifs — because Indian families have a lot of guests.

With a new crop of Indian designers tapping into the centuries of resources their country has to offer, today I am sharing the work of 10 Indian designers making collections out of India. —Rohini

1. Karen E. says:

Great collection – and some nice surprises! See also the very refined work of Seema Krish, based in California, produced in India. She includes some amazing handwork in her pieces, including yard goods.

1. Rohini Wahi says:

Hi Karen – just checked out the work of Seema Krish – such elegant patterns. Thank you for the heads up have bookmarked her for the future. Rohini

2. Megan says:

This was a great roundup! I have a thing for all the lampshades!
    I wish there were more textile manufacturing here in the U.S. these days; it’s such a beautiful industry.

1. Rohini Wahi says:

Thanks Megan – the possibilities of pattern in lampshades had completely eluded me until I researched this piece! The Kolam Consteallation wallshade by Olie is really speaking to my minimalist self…

3. Such marvelous colors, textures and patterns!

4. Tamanna says:

Thanks for sharing!! I am loving all your articles on Indian interiors, textiles, being featured here lately…I’m not from India, I’m Bangladeshi-American, but this feels so familiar, and absolutely love the mix of traditional and modern Indian aesthetics you’ve been showcasing

1. Rohini Wahi says:

Thankyou Tamanna, it’s so heartening to hear from so many people on here with links to India – I am so happy this makes you feel nostalgic!

5. Anuj says:

Thank you Rohini for featuring No-Mad !! Humbled !! So exciting to see great textile design brands coming out of India !! Many thanks, Anuj

1. Rohini Wahi says:

Of course Anuj – I’m a big fan of No-Mad!

6. Nara says:

I love the patterns. I want them all!!!!

7. Laura Weismann says:

I do not a link to the lovely Ethereal voile curtains you wrote about ? I am very interested in those …..

1. Rohini Wahi says:

Hi Laura – good point – you can take a look at them at Fab India a big home retailer in India that features in most homes and Freedom Tree do some pretty patterned voile fabrics that I imagined working well!

8. amrita says:

Thank you for featuring us here Rohini ! It’s an honour to be on Design Sponge. We just started accepting International Credit cards about 2 days ago, so this couldn’t have happened at a better time :)

9. Lynne Anne Booth says:

Love this post ! Book marking it for future shopping. You must check out Allem Studios, just recently purchased one of their gorgeous shower curtains. My husband if of Indian descent and so i travel to india often. Good to know of options other than fab india and anokhi.

10. Gazal says:

Dear Rohini,

For a a young brand like ours, it feels great to be encouraged by established platform like yours. Thank you so much for the boost! :)

Nayanika & Gazal
    IDAM

1. Rohini Wahi says:

Gazal – your product is incredible! Especially these intricately embroidered cushions. I wish you lots of success. Rohini

11. Jill C. says:

Was disappointed that the beautiful natural bedspread shown, from Bandhini’s Phulkari collection, couldnt be found on their website :(

1. Rohini Wahi says:

Hi Jill C – Ah you may have more luck on one of their stockist websites here – an abundance of Phulkari pieces here! Happy shopping!

12. Saloni says:

Wow! Blown away by some of the prints you showcased. Guess will have to spend the next couple of days browsing though the sites. Thank you so much for putting this together.