Building Your Creative Toolkit

Building Your Creative Toolkit
No matter what your thing is, you rely on your tools: sharp pencils, no-slip rulers or that tape that sticks to stuff without screwing it up. But when just starting out on a new project or venture, you’re suddenly faced with the daunting task of stocking up. Sure, you can run through the store impulsively buying rubber stamps, but should you?

I’m not the expert on minimalism, but I am a huge tool so I have some insight here. By honestly considering who you are and what you want to accomplish, you can build a useful collection of tools instead of a bunch of expensive stuff stashed in a tote bag under your desk. –ADAMJK

Building Your Creative Toolkit
Building Your Creative Toolkit
Building Your Creative Toolkit
Building Your Creative Toolkit
Building Your Creative Toolkit
Building Your Creative Toolkit
Building Your Creative Toolkit
Building Your Creative Toolkit
Building Your Creative Toolkit

Adam J. KurtzAdam J. Kurtz (better known as ADAMJK) is an artist and author of 1 Page at a Time: A Daily Creative Companion. His dark (but optimistic) humor comes to life in an offbeat line of gifts and small trinkets. Follow him at @ADAMJK or in real life (he lives in Brooklyn because of course he does).

1. So… anyone want a tote bag of stuff I never needed to begin with? ;)

1. Ashley says:

I bet you’ve got good stuff in that tote bag ;)

2. Karen E. says:

Great start. Could you write at least ten more slides on this topic, please? I’m pretty mired in this one!

3. Patricia Hill says:

‘I’m not the expert on minimalism but I *am* a huge tool…” Is this really what you meant to write?

The Grouchy Copyeditor

1. Grace Bonney says:

Patricia

Yes, it is. It’s a joke. No grouchy copy editing required.

Grace

4. Sue says:

Great funny post! I need to keep these lists with me the next time I’m roaming the art supply store and feel tempted to walk away with that thing that I’ve seen someone else use and might want some day.

5. KP says:

b b b but the card stock is 3 packs for 10!

6. Ashley says:

Adam I always LOVE your posts here, but this one is especially handy for me.
    I work in many mediums, and always feel like I need so many tools.
    I am currently trying to “purge” my small apartment (I work from home), but keep having thoughts like “What if I need that for a future project, and I will have to buy it again.”
    I should perhaps print your tips out and have them up on my wall.
    Thanks so much, and a special extra thanks for making me laugh as usual.

Ash xo

7. Nela Dunato says:

Oh my, I am so guilty of splurging on tools I barely ever end up using, and also for keeping my fancy tools “for later”, especially sketchbooks.

Right now, I’m lusting after a light pad. I realized my design process would be more streamlined if I was able to trace my sketches onto clean paper, instead of inking directly on the sketch and erasing the pencil lines (which sometimes ends up messy).

8. Kathryn says:

This is so great, I’m so guilty of over buying and hoarding tools, my studio is busting at the seams! Think I’ll print this as a reminder as I spring clean this week :)