Before & After: An Artful Entryway in Des Moines, IA

Share It

Thrift store artwork can be challenging to decorate with, especially in a home that is full of original pieces and quality prints. Creative director Nick Renkoski fell in love with a sun-damaged copy of Edward Hopper’s Early Sunday Morning that he found for $10. The original reds, greens and yellows of the painting had faded into a monotone blue palette that made the damage evident. Nick’s wife, curator and founder of Adore Your WallsLiz Lidgett, wasn’t sure how to incorporate the piece into their space when they lived in a rental. The purchase of their first home in July 2015 inspired them to not only update their new entryway, but to use the Hopper piece creatively for both Liz and Nick to enjoy.

The grand architectural details of their Des Moines, IA home initially drew the couple to the house. They knew each room of the house would need some cosmetic changes to reach their full potential. “Our entryway is the first impression to our home, and I wanted it to set the tone: Fun and bold,” Liz says. “First, we had [to] repair some cosmetic age issues with the ceiling, wall and floor. We patched the crack in the tile and painted the floor.”

The house’s periwinkle blue exterior grew on Liz and Nick so much that they used a similar color when designing the entryway. “I painted the the walls and ceiling and created the lower half,” Liz shares. “I then hung the print, matched the line on the wall and painted across the glass in the frame.” New sconces, rug and a coatrack with the same “dipped” treatment as the walls finish the look. The result is a stylish and welcoming entryway that reflects Liz and Nick’s love of art. “Most of the time, people really love the idea,” Liz begins, “but my very favorite is when people come in and are completely confused by it. ‘Did you mean to do that?’ Yes, yes I did.” –Lauren

Photography by Austin Day

Rug – World Market
Paint – Bluebird by Behr
Coatrack – CB2
Sconces – IndLights, Etsy

1. Leslie says:

That’s fantastic! I solved a similar problem with a wonderful, original architectural sketch that was in a faded mauve mat with a brass frame (80’s?). I taped out the center image and spray painted silver over the glass, covering the hideous mat and the frame, giving the artwork a kind of shadowbox effect and an updated, edgy look, similar to the above. I was astounded at the change, and how cheap it was to do that.

1. JoKate says:

I’d love to see a photo of that Leslie

2. JoKate says:

Love it – so original and fun x

3. It’s funny how such a bold color works so well with the faded tones in the print. Just perfect!
    I like when people elevate a piece of so-so art by doing something irreverent to it.

4. I loved the idea with the entryway ! It’s so bold. A few people can really make so significant changes. Congrats for that!

5. Kimberly says:

This is perfect! I’ve thought about doing something similar but talked myself out of it. This space is so inspiring that I’m definitely going to do it! I’d love to see the rest of the home, I’m sure it’s wonderful and quirky too.

6. Catie says:

What a fun idea! It is just lovely!

7. Vanessa says:

That is just perfect, beautifully executed. I like the door too!

8. Amanda says:

I am dying over the runner on the stairs – Anyone know the source for it?

Love, love, love modern creative touches like this in older houses. Liz and Nick did an awesome job going outside of “safe” design!