A Waterfront Remodel on the Florida Coast

Share It

When Lillian and Raymond Garcia bought their 1,150-square-foot beach condo in St. Petersburg, FL, they were looking for a vacation house on the water less than two hours away from their primary home in Orlando. With its waterfront community setting and spacious open layout, the Garcias’ beach home helps them relax and unwind and easily entertain family and friends (as well as rent to vacationers). The couple tasked designer Jenny Kaplan of An Aesthetic Pursuit with giving the space a complete overhaul in seven months. They knocked down walls, replaced the floors, countertops, and cabinetry, and refreshed wall colors and furniture, turning the space from a generic beach home into a bright and modern retreat.

The Garcias looked to nature for inspiration, incorporating warm and organic accents that would compliment their beach surroundings. Jenny developed a color palette inspired by the abundant seashells on the surrounding white sand beaches. She also helped the homeowners protect their investment by ensuring that each new piece added was chosen not only for its look, but also for its sturdiness and ability to withstand the wear and tear of a vacation rental property. The floors, for example, are durable tile, not wood, and each finish was chosen to perform well in wet, humid conditions. To maintain a personal feel, the Garcias’ daughter, Lindsey, created artwork for the living area and master bedroom. She sourced local shells and found objects from the beach for hanging shadow boxes, which complement the overall beachy aesthetic. Lindsey and Jenny also handmade the shibori throw pillows used as accents throughout. Read on to see more of their sunny Florida makeover. —Annie

Photography by Daniele Napolitano

1. Em says:

The dining room looks like a David Hockney painting. Beautiful! <3

2. I love the updates! I could move right into that blue room!

3. Madeline D says:

I am just in love with this post! What beautiful colours, and such a magnificent dose of freshness compared to the before shots. Thank you for sharing xx

Madeline, classicallycontemporary.com

4. Kristan says:

Aaaahhhh love the new look. It’s sooooo soothing and contemporary.

Interestingly, I don’t think there was nothing wrong with the old look. But the Before & After pics really illustrate what a professional eye for color and design can contribute.

5. Arielle says:

Those before and afters are like different worlds! Love how colorful and sunny this space is.

6. Katie says:

Oh my goodness, what a transformation! This is such a clever play on colour, I’m not sure I could pull it off myself but it looks brilliant.

7. Kara says:

This is stunning! Love the colors and everything about this <3 I wish my house looked like this!

8. Wendy says:

This home is so soothing and peaceful! Would love to know what the floors are throughout. Nice work.

9. Tina says:

This is an awesome blog.. I really enjoyed it while reading..

10. Luis says:

The condo is amazing and set in the perfect place waterfront propertty. I love staying there every chance I get. It is a great place to enjoy yourself relax and have fun. The colors and floors make you feel like you are somewhere else enjoying life. Great place to stay so comforting. Thank you Mrs Garcia

11. Lydia says:

Lovely! I see lots of Crate&Barrel in these photos!

12. This has inspired me to get some colour on some of our walls. I love the light bright look and the cushions are lovely.

13. Wow… what a gorgous colour scheme- it’s so calm and fresh. Huge difference from the initial look. I might offer some of our clients in London similar designs for their houses :)

Jason Roberts

14. Jessica Fowler says:

What is the source for the white bedding in the master? Love it!

15. Lisette says:

Where did you get the coral paint that you used on the wall? its very pretty