Caring for Indoor Plants During Winter

Share It

While winter hasn’t quite made its presence known in my area (we’re usually covered in snow by now, but it’s still dry and sunny here), the temperatures are dropping and I’m keeping a close eye on all of my indoor plants to make sure I’m not drying them out or letting them get too cold by the windows. I inevitably lose a plant or two over the winter, but this year I’m hoping each and every one makes it through to spring. Thankfully, Damien and Jackie of Harrison Green are here today to share their expert tips for caring for indoor plants during the winter. From pointers on placement and light to types of hardy plants that will weather the winter well, their advice will help you get through the winter with plenty of happy, healthy plants. Just click through the slideshow above for their top 8 tips and a list of great indoor plants. xo, grace

Photography by Nicholas Calcott

Owning a landscape design, installation and maintenance company in New York City is a business that — in many ways — is controlled by the weather and the seasons. We are constantly checking the weather forecast so that we can be prepared for how frigid winters or hot and humid summers will affect our clients’ gardens. Even wind can be a challenge for our rooftop gardens and terraces, while heavy rainfall can wreak havoc on shady townhouse courtyards.

For this reason, we have really grown to love indoor plants and the year-round consistency and reliability that they can (almost always) provide. Especially during the winter months, when there can be three feet of snow outside and only bare trees, it is great to be able to walk inside and see some green. Indoor plants have the additional benefit of improving air quality and helping you breathe better, and have even been credited with deterring illness and increasing productivity. This is especially beneficial in winter, when people are spending so much more time indoors.

Given that we spend most of our time concerned with our clients’ gardens, we honestly have very little time to worry about plants of our own, so the plants we have around us need to be tough and able to withstand some occasional neglect.

Somewhat by accident, our studio in Brooklyn has become a living laboratory of indoor plants, where we have been able to test firsthand the hardiness of a number of species. Along the way, we have learned some lessons about how to care for these indoor plants and some of the best foolproof species to use. Here, we share some of the plants that inhabit our studio and some simple tips to help anyone keep an indoor plant alive, especially during the colder months. —Damien and Jackie of Harrison Green

1. Renee says:

Hi! Do you know where the hand made ceramic pots in the print room are from?

1. Robert_HG says:

Hi Renee,

These were from Revisions Design Studio out of Michigan (, Michele has all kinds of great ceramic items. Check them out!

2. Well, the lack of sunlight sure explains why my succulents died! :( thanks for these tips!!

3. Jennette says:

people who live in basement apartments, or even those with only north facing windows can have indoor plants too. Just get a grow light. And now that there are LED options it doesn’t take a lot of power either (12-24 watts).

1. Claire says:

I only have north facing windows but my two indoor plants have actually been doing fine even with the limited sunlight they get from my windows. However I’m sure they wouldn’t mind having a grow light too ;)

4. Cassy says:

Lovely plants and great tips! A great resource that I always check before buying plants (I have cats who love to chew on plants, and know some dogs do as well) is the ASPCA Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants List. It’s searchable, so you can put in the plant name and look for it there. Always a good idea to check before getting a potentially toxic plant to your pet.

5. Patricia Rand says:

I have a “Rabbits Foot Fern”that has covered the whole pot and is growing more feet over itself .Should I cut it back to replant or can I divide it up for more plants to give away ?

6. Alexandra says:

I am moving a lot lately but I have to buy a plant. Best idea this weekend. Feel so lonely sometimes.

1. Grace Bonney says:

When I was living alone, my plants (and pets) were my everything. Taking care of a living thing is such a wonderful feeling :)

7. In the first slide, the painting with the mustachioed woman is really cool; grabbed my eye right away! And I like how the placement of the succulents balances out the composition of the gallery wall, thanks for the tips.

8. Emily says:

Once again, the timeliness of your post could not be more fitting in my life. I’ve been reading more and more about the benefits of indoor plants – not only for the beauty of a room but for the air cleaning benefits, so I’ve been slowly trying to fill my house with more of them. So far, only one has made it in. But slowly I will incorporate them more. I love the fig tree – I may need to look into one of those!

9. Aidel.K says:

Wonderful advice here. I’d love more info on how to hang a giant plant like that hanging monstera. I’m interested in both the pot (looks mossy) and how to hang something heavy like that. I’m encouraged by the comments on imperfection.

10. I have succulents that are hanging on for dear life- this is super helpful!