A Vintage Red House (Moderately) West

Share It

A home lover through and through, Katie Bennett — a finalist in our own essay contest, as well as half of the Red House West blogging duo — created a cozy Eugene, OR pad with her husband Cameron Bishop and their squad of cats and chickens. Though the homeowners work in the sciences, they thoroughly enjoy the creative art of nesting in their quirky 1930s residence. They have decorated accordingly, honoring the age and and style of the house, but not forcing themselves to be constrained by it. Every piece of furniture they have (save for one) is either thrifted or handcrafted by Katie and Cameron themselves, or someone they know personally. Certain placeholders remain until the pair can find the perfect things, but the combination of all the unique, decorative elements raises more basic pieces to great heights. Katie, for her part, loves the mix of modern and vintage elements.

Due to its advanced age, nothing in the house is square or level, so every building project taken on requires extremely detailed measurements and always-helpful shims. When Katie and Cameron moved in, there was only one closet upstairs (in the master bedroom) — a situation that had to be remedied quickly. The house did offer lots of other storage solutions, however, with its little cupboards and crawlspaces tucked under eaves and stairs. “Every kid who ever comes into our home immediately suggests playing hide-and-seek,” Katie shares, which is just fine by her. Colorful textures, mid-century furniture, and original details satisfy her desire for a stylishly welcoming home. “Nothing can be too precious or fussy.” To Katie and Cameron, working on their house is a joy, and they’re grateful for a place in which they can be creative and safely make mistakes in the process — only to have fun trying again.

Be sure to check out some common threads at the home of Katie’s Alaska-based co-blogger Mera Matthews in A Red House Legacy Way, Way West. —Annie

Photography by Katie Bennett

1. Sally says:

This is one of the best interiors I have seen. It is elegant and restrained and yet still looks comfortable and not just doing the obvious. I like the choices of prints and paintings. Great walls!

2. Susan says:

Inviting, stylish, whimsical…love this home tour!

3. Marti says:

The built-in bookcase in your guest room is beautiful! The rounded corner of the shelves is such a great touch.

1. Thank you! We spent a lot of time brainstorming how we could build the shelves without blocking light – it ended up being one of my favorite details!

4. kymberly says:

This is exactly my style– mostly b&w with lots of vintage furniture. I love that round lamp next to pink chair, and your collection of wonderful mirrors!

1. Thanks Kymberly! I’m glad you noticed that lamp; it’s one of my favorite finds of all time and I wish it could live in every room :)

5. Love that the majority of furniture is thrifted or handcrafted and all the special little art touches. Beautiful home!

6. oltyrrell says:

Oh- beautiful, airy, light filled. Love your style- it’s cosy and clean. Loving the dark paint in the dining room for contrast.

7. zandra says:

Katie, your aesthetic is making our hearts go pitter-patter! We’re so happy to see your house after falling in love with Mera’s when we had her on our podcast. One of these days, we’ll drag you on for an interview as well! (Anyone who is interested, it’s a great conversation and you can find it at littleyellowcouch.com and click on Red House West under the podcast tab. I’m truly not saying this to self-promote…it’s a REALLY good interview and both gals at Red House West have such a fabulous sense of style and a terrific blog!).

1. Thanks Zandra! I second the recommendation to go listen to Mera’s interview!

8. Gillianne says:

Chock full of comfort, taste both sensible and quirky, and personal detail. So much to appreciate here! It’s a good reflection of the thoughtful writing and well-chosen photos of Katie and Mera’s blog. Highly recommend. (And nope, I know neither of them, their families, or friends personally.)

9. Gamanacasa says:

For me too this is one of the best interiors (though I would love to see that living room wrapped in dark walls hehe). My favorites are some carefull details – like the back cover in the vitrine and the rugs confortably over each other – that show so much love and warm heart. Love it!!

10. Margot says:

I am trying to work out which piece of furniture was NOT thrifted or created by the owners or one of their relatives or friends! I can’t work it out. It’s driving me crazy. Or perhaps it was not included in these photos?

1. Alas, Margot, you are playing a game of hidden picture you can not win. It’s not in these photos (just out of frame in the living room); it’s the martini table from West Elm (which was a gift from Mera after I’d been coveting it for ages).

11. Emily says:

This is really nice and cozy looking. I think that what I like most, though, is actually outside – almost every window has beautiful greenery outside of it. Makes me want to go outside and plant some trees!!

12. Kate says:

My favorite home tour in a while. Everything is truly calming and styled just right without looking too styled. And I adore your house plants! Beautiful!

13. Kate says:

What is the wall color of your calm cave bedroom? I love how it changes with the light.

1. Hi Kate! It’s Stonington Gray by Benjamin Moore. I love it as a bedroom color. I found that it’s at its best with bright white trim; I tried it with a creamier white and that made it read very blue.

14. A says:

Lovely! Would love to know who the floor lamp is by (pic #9)? and the plant stand (pic #13)?

15. Jen says:

I know there are only so many pictures you can post for a house tour so I understand why the upstairs bathroom didn’t make it in, but man, I love that bathroom! It has the best built-ins and nooks and crannies! Maybe it’s not as fun to actually live with, but I still dream about having a room like that :)

1. Yep, there are a few rooms that didn’t make the tour – I’ll have to put together a part two :)

16. I’m not gonna lie: I’m sooooo jealous you picked up that smoking chair for $20. It looks great!

17. Ally says:

Where are the curtains in the bedroom from? I love them!

1. I found them at Home Goods years ago and have torn off the tag long since – sorry I can’t be more helpful!

18. emily says:

I love how each piece tells a story. And, I love the way she embraces bold color and plants in every corner. such a lovely home!

19. marsch says:

Very nice. I think some of the vintage furniture really makes the space stand out. But the lounging kitty steals the scene.