A Colorful, Layered Home Focused on Fun and Family

Share It

Aniko Levai and her husband only had two things on their “must-have” list when they were first house-hunting: location and privacy. With two young boys, aged four and six, being close to their school was important and easy enough to find, but a home on a private, spacious lot was more of a challenge — and meant sacrificing a turnkey space. When the family found this detached home offering over 2,000 square feet in the heart of Richmond, VA, it was an entirely different space than it is now.

Having grown up in Hungary, Aniko moved to America 14 years ago and started a family business with her husband. A photographer in her downtime, Aniko naturally documented the many changes they made to their home, and eventually launched the blog Place of My Taste to chronicle their adventures in everything home, family and DIY. As a young family of four that runs a business, life for the Levai family is busy and chaotic; so function and fun were top-of-mind when it came to design. “I like to bring in and mix different styles,” Aniko says, “Using pops of colors in each room.” Whether it’s the breakfast nook or a bedroom, no space is free from up-cycled furniture, DIY project pieces, art, or printed photographs of Aniko’s. Even outside in the backyard, handmade pallet furniture and accessories make up the fabric of their daily lives.

Color and layering textures is something Aniko never shies away from, and giving her children a fun space to feel free in is what home is all about. Despite their busy lives, and some of the more superficial annoyances of the home (such as two smaller living rooms rather than one large room), having a private space in which the whole family can feel comfortable is paramount. Nothing is too precious in Aniko’s home — except for those whom she shares it with. Sabrina

Photography by Aniko Levai Photography

1. That buffet is so gorgeous as well as the art you created above it! Have loved following your blog and instagram and so nice to see you featured here!

2. I love the rustic front of teh buffet, and the art, and the swing cum hanging planter! Very imaginative!

3. Shannon says:

Awesome to see another creative, gorgeous Richmond home. I feel honored to share this great city so many inspiring folks!

4. anne says:

Do you have a source for the yellow cushion on the foot stool? I love it! I have a stool that needs a cushion and that would be perfect! Thanks.

5. I love the mix of colors in the home. The back yard space is really amazing. I could really use something like that in my life!

6. Lucia says:

@Anne I think it’s the round pintuck pillow from Urban Outfitters in dark yellow

7. Diane says:

This is a beautiful home. Aniko should be very proud of it!

8. Nicole says:

I love the blue ladder in the back! SO cute! And the layers of rugs… amazing! Now I think I need to re-vamp my living room. Cannot wait to steal some inspiration :)

9. Marsya says:

Such a house goals! I wish I will make it in my own house next time. Nice photos and post xo

10. I was smiling reading through the entire post! Great work Aniko!! Your efforts have so paid off with a gorgeous comfortable home… now shared on Design Sponge! Bravo friend.

11. Alexandra says:

Nice and warm home. I love the gallery since it match my frame gallery wall. Keep sharing.

12. Emily says:

Hi! Loved this! Do you know where the sideboard in white and wood, placed underneath the TV, is from? I’ve been looking for one just like it for AGES. Thank you! /Emily

13. Jessica says:

There are so many cute things going on here, but I really love your porch. So many cute ideas with pallets!

14. emily says:

she has really thought through so many details of her home..such a happy place!

15. Emily Guzzardi says:

Wondering what that yellow wall color might be? Perfection.