18 Embroidery Instagram Feeds to Follow

Share It

If you read design and lifestyle magazines and blogs, you know that ceramics are having a major renaissance right now. Everywhere I look, there’s a new article on the next wave of ceramicists, and it seems like (thanks to pottery classes everywhere) we’re all learning how to make our own dinner plates. I think any resurgence of handmade goods is fantastic. And man, do I love anyone who knows how to make something beautiful on a potter’s wheel. But lately, I’ve been feeling a new wave of artists and makers start to swell — and their focus is on embroidery.

All over the Internet (on social media and in shops and online boutiques), embroidery seems to be having a huge comeback. Most design trends are cyclical, so I’m sure we’ll see embroidery come back over and over, but right now my Instagram feed is flooded with amazing people making magic in embroidery hoops. But instead of traditional designs, these artists are embroidering more aggressive sayings and mantras, embracing the darker side of stitching; and tapping into the type of delicate imagery we’re seeing in the poke-and-stick-tattoo scene that’s happening right now, too.

From flowers and foxes to names and complete landscapes, these embroidered designs feel perfect for the season. While I’m in no way an expert crafter, I’m excited to swap out some of my normal “while-I-watch-movies” routines for crafting some custom embroidered pieces on hoops this winter. It’s the perfect way to learn something new and pass the time inside while the temperatures drop below zero outdoors. Read on to discover 18 of my favorite embroiderers to follow on Instagram and, as always, please feel free to suggest your favorites in the comment section below. I’m excited to discover some talented new artists. xo, grace

*Stay tuned for another roundup next week of some skilled embroidered-patch makers, curated by artist and designer, Tuesday Bassen!

1. Kelsey says:

Awesome! So many new follows from me ^.^ I love this so much. Also I nominate @elizabethpawle!

2. ana says:

You should check @casatiendadeameliab stuff. She makes amazing embroidered jewelry!! Great selection by the way!!!

3. Cindy says:

My friend Kate makes wonderful whimsical embroidery art that combines skulls with flora and cacti: http://fearsomebeast.com/ I love that they are framed too!

4. Jennifer says:

I wonderful artist was missed! Marigold and Mars creates pieces that are like no other. @marigoldandmars

5. KC says:

My bff @smeldridge makes beautiful floral embroidery pieces with a feminist bent that perfectly fits in with these artists.

6. Kayce says:

I also nominate @meggiegreen

7. Such a great collection of artists! I love @anastridendeavor who embroiders the most beautiful brooches and patches.

8. Dasher says:

Maricor/Maricar have taken hand embroidery to the next level! The twins are on Instagram @maricormaricar

9. J-Box says:

I’d like to nominate @gracydesignandcraft for her really slick embroidery on wood.

10. Sarah says:

Every last once of these pieces is lovely, and so inspiring! I’m an embroidery artist, as well, and my favorite subjects are pop stars @studiosrh

11. Evi says:

Cool! You should definitely check out @unweathered_handmadegoods

12. So many gorgeous pieces of work here — thanks for sharing! :D

(Can I nominate Lucky Jackson too? You’ll love her work: http://www.luckyjackson.ca/365-lucky-days-gallery/!) I actually have an embroidered portrait that she did of me and it’s amazing. She’s genius!

13. My favorite stitcher is Elizabeth Pawle right now!! Perfectly abstract and vivid: https://www.instagram.com/elizabethpawle/

Also, I did a lot of embroidery exploration last year as well:

14. Amy says:

She’s not on instagram, but this lingerie designer in Hungary makes beautiful embroidered things:

15. ewlake says:

PleasePleasePlease do a similar post for needlepoint!

16. Kirsten says:

Follow @decorousdishes! She does gorgeous work!

17. Susan says:

Thank you for this post! I have been a long time admirer of the Japanese artist Yumiko Higuchi. See her work on Instagram: @yumikohiguchi or yumikohiguchi.com

18. Kari says:

As an embroidery artist I loved this post! I’m very grateful Instagram introduced me to so many talented and kind fellow embroiderers, including most of the 18 you mentioned here. (As well I must recommend @thekitchystitcher) I just love following your feed and would love to see your hand at the art :)

19. Nancy says:

I am quite new to instagram and love it for it’s more personal story … it has been lovely to find fellow embroiderers and discover crafters from all over the world … and a great way to show images of my own designs as I am thinking them through and of course pictures of the dog. I would like to nominate https://www.instagram.com/theowltheharethehuman/
    I just love her mysterious little creatures!

20. John says:

Great read. I love that this medium is making a comeback. I remember when my grandmother used to work on these. It is now reaching the next level!!! A unique embroidery artist, among many other mediums to definitely check out on Instagram is @merrymeddler

She takes a somewhat different approach that is pretty cool.

21. lauren says:

Just wanted to say that I loved this round up! Thanks for sharing.

22. Zoe says:

Love this collection of artists! All amazing. You should also definitely check out

@iheartstitchart (She creates embroidery kits in modern designs)
    @ohmyheartembroidery (such pretty pieces)
    @wildboho (combines printed fabric with embroidered embellishment)

Definitely embroidery is on the revival.

23. Great group of artists! Check out Elfland embroidery on Instagram too!

24. So honored to be included with such amazing artists! Thank you!

25. Camila Lopes says:

Such a great list, but I missed @maricormaricar and @yumikohiguchi , they have different styles but they’re the bests!
    I also invite you to check out my work at https://www.instagram.com/clubedobordado/ .
    We area embroidery art colletive.

26. Sarah says:

These are all so wonderful! Thanks for sharing. Another stitcher that I follow is @alliefrazier_!

27. Josefina says:

Great group of artists! Check @nosgustabordar on Instagram too!

28. Laura says:

I love Yumiko Higuchi. She is really talented. I also follow: Royal School of Needlework https://www.instagram.com/rsndegree.uk/ and Via Loreto https://www.instagram.com/vialoreto/

29. Lola says:

Found some new faces that I love on instagram, check out these accounts; @__jwolf__, @femme.broidery, @minaxmesa, @larkrising, @themakere, and @thimblethistle !