12 Small Changes That Make a Big Impact at Home

Share It

It’s hard to resist the allure of a full blown makeover. New paint, new furniture, new lighting — the full shebang. But for a lot of us, that top-to-bottom upgrade isn’t an option. Total makeovers require a lot of time, money and professional skills (I’m still nervous to do my own electrical work), and not everyone has all three handy.

So what do we do if we want to upgrade our homes and make a change without giving up weeks of time and cutting too deeply into our bank accounts? We make small changes — small changes that make a big impact. From swapping out light switch covers to recovering your chairs, this list of 12 quick and inexpensive changes are a failsafe way to dress up your rooms for 2016 without blowing your budget. Bonus? Most of these can be done DIY-style, so I’ve included tutorials for each if you want to get started today. *All of these ideas can easily be done in a day, too! xo, grace

1. Heather P. says:

Great post! I love that many of these are renter-friendly upgrades that someone like me, who isn’t necessarily a DIY pro, can easily do in an afternoon!

2. Love these idea and how doable they are!

3. adele giles says:

Wish I wasn’t renting because I love some of these ideas.

1. Grace Bonney says:

You can do a lot of these as a renter:

-Switch plate covers can be swapped out when you move out, so you can add your new one and then take it with you when you move.
      -The same goes for lighting. I always saved the original fixtures in my closet and replaced them when we moved out of each apt.
      -Ditto for doorknobs (just change them back when you move- you can bring your new knob with you)
      -You can use 3M adhesive strips for hanging things or attaching wallpaper so you don’t damage the walls when you remove it.
      -Upholstery and metallic detailing can go with you anywhere (yay!)

4. Marsya says:

Wow, nice suggestion! Those are simple diy that anyone can do! Thank you so much

5. Janet Sirisomphone says:

Never never do your own electrical work, I shudder to think that anyone would consider it.

1. Grace Bonney says:

I wouldn’t do major work, but I know a lot of people who have taken classes and can easily change out their own light fixtures. I’m just too nervous to try.

6. Emily says:

These are really great ideas. I think what I love most about this though is that you’ve taken some of the great things about what your blog shows every day and “dumbed it down” to the level of someone like me. Thank you!