10 Inspiring Museums on Instagram

Share It

The idea of #lifeatthemuseum conjures up peaceful notions of shared learning, creative industry and companionable co-existence with objects of desire. Recently, I’ve been losing myself in the hypnotic, daily rhythms of niche museums around the world giving Instagram followers privileged access to that coveted, behind-the-scenes action.

Far from shattering illusions, these feeds confirm that creative institutions are the lifeblood of communities – serving up inspiration, educating young families, working tirelessly to catalogue and conserve, and generally making the world a better place! Scroll through any one of these wonderful feeds and I challenge you to disagree.  Rohini

1. Chloe says:

I manage the Instagram of a smal University museum based in Charlottesville! @fralinmuseumuva
    Also check out @52museums – a different museum from around the world takes over the account each week.

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks chloe! checking it out now :)

g

2. Sandy says:

MassMoca, MassMoca, MassMoca!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Thanks, Sandy! I’ll add that to my personal feed :)

G

3. ruth ribeaucourt says:

Okay so …… glad I did that Insta purge yesterday now I have ten new amazing accounts to follow
    x

4. Erin says:

Just wanted to say I’m really happy DS has been posting these Instagram feed recommendations. Every time you do I find some fun and unexpected new accounts to follow. Cheers!

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks erin!

i find so much inspiration in social media, i figured other people might like to check out people in those places, too :)

grace

5. Sydlivmus says:

Thanks for the mention!
    Get in touch if you ever want more details about our collection, stories and photography.

6. Kathy says:

mmuesumm in TriBeCa

1. Kathy says:

Sorry thats mmuseumm

7. randie says:

One of my favorite small museums is in Ithaca, New York. Check them out @hfjmuseum :)

8. Katy Gilmore says:

Wow Grace – you just really really upgraded my Instagram feed – thank you! I love it that these places are all small and a little off the radar – and wonderful.

9. Sol says:

Just when I was getting bored of my Instagram fed. Thank you so much Grace! Just with the Fashion and Textile Museum I have eye candy forever! And I’ll check out the ones recommended above me, too :)

10. Paul says:

Can’t go past @monamuseum in Tasmania. Incredible

11. Thank you very much for including the Fashion and Textile Museum @fashiontextilemuseum in #lifeatthemuseum. We are happy to have discovered you!
    This year we are exploring tie-dye, Missoni and the 1920s Jazz Age if any of those strike a chord. Thanks again and we hope to see you in London.

12. We’re delighted to be featured here, thank you very much! We’ve got some new Insta projects in the pipeline including relaunching our #londonillustrated tag – encouraging people to share wonderful illustrated things they see around the city – and some sneak previews of our Russian Soviet Children’s Books exhibition.

Thanks as well for the rest of the list, we’re off to follow them all!

13. Sasha says:

I was just looking round the Internet for posts on museum instagrams and came across this one. Thanks for some great inspiration, I help run a small Danish museum’s Instagram (@vejenkunstmuseum) so it’s nice to see what other museums do :)