This is the first year that Julia and I will be hosting both of our families at our house for Thanksgiving, and we’ve been getting our house ready for weeks now. From new plants in the front yard to a fresh coat of paint in the dining room, we’ve been working around the clock to get things ready. While Julia expertly plans the menu, I’ve been dreaming up table decorations and have felt drawn toward the more traditional styles I grew up with. So, I was excited to work with Janie of JM Flora (from my home state of VA!) to share a simple but beautiful idea for decorating your holiday table. Her Magnolia and Fruit Garland is loose and organic (no wire needed) and focuses on warm colors that will add depth to the table, but won’t overwhelm your space. Read on after the jump below for her full how-to and check out her Instagram feed here for more floral ideas for the holidays. Until Monday, have a safe and happy weekend! xo, grace
Floral photography by Alisandra Photography
- A pink office after my own heart. (via One Kings Lane)
- This machine prints out short stories on-demand! (via This Is Colossal)
- I love you, silver mylar floral wallpaper. (via It’s Nice That)
- Colorful gingerbread cookies in fun, summery shapes. (via Aww Sam)
- I adore this printed pie stencil Brittany made. (via House That Lars Built)
- I love Justina Blakeney’s new wallpapers for Hygge & West so much!
- Must-Read: 10 Ways to Bootstrap a Business
- Fine Art Focus: Ghada Amer
- Before & After: Upgrading a Danish Modern Home, A Bright Tudor Remodel
- Studio Tour: Ikire Jones, Emma Fineman
- What’s In Your Toolbox: Llubav Choy Duerr
- Recipes: Laura + Dana’s Maple Syrup Fondue
- DIY: Latch Hook Rug by Jessica Marquez, Giant Spool Organizer
- City Guide: 24 Hours in Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Life & Business: Profiles: Kera Thompson, L.A. Jennings
- Interiors: A West Hollywood Bungalow, An Historic Long Beach Home, A Refined Home in Seattle, A Scandinavian Inspired Home in Colorado, A Bohemian Home in West Palm Beach, A Harlem Home Filled with Art and Memories
Magnolia and Fruit Garland by JM Flora
What You’ll Need
-Fruit: Persimmons, Figs, Kumquats
-Start by placing the magnolia stems down the center of your dining table. My table will be set for 4, so I knew from the start that I would need a very long garland, and keep in mind that you need to leave space at the end for the place settings.
-After placing the first magnolia stem, you will place the second stem with the leaves covering the stem of the first piece. Continue this process to the middle of the table and repeat the same process starting from the other end of the table.
-Now, start placing your fruit and berries within the garland and play around with the placement, there’s no wrong or right. Also, place the vessel that you will use for any floral/candle/food arrangement in the middle of the garland. This will help you with the placement of the fruit and berries.
This post is brought to you by Postable. Super cute holiday cards, printed, addressed and mailed for you! Check out their collection here: www.postable.com
Thanks for supporting our sponsors like Postable! They enable us to bring you new, original content here on Design*Sponge four times a day!