A Ghent, New York Home Where Green Rules

Share It

When Ted Kennedy Watson and Ted Sive first heard about a charming 1920s farmhouse for sale in Ghent, NY, they bought it sight unseen. “We actually learned of [our home] the very first morning it was listed via email and we bought it [without visiting] because we knew it was just what we were looking for,” says Ted Kennedy Watson (Ted KW). Located in the Hawthorne Valley area of Ghent, Ted and Ted’s home had been painstakingly restored by a talented architect who lived there previously. Both longtime fans of the Hudson Valley (Ted Sive grew up spending his summers on a farm in the Catskills), Ted and Ted decided that this home was the perfect place to call their own when they needed to escape from their busy city life in Seattle, WA where Ted KW owns two beautiful stores called Watson Kennedy.

Along with their rescue dog, Bailey, Ted and Ted (who were married in nearby Nyack, NY in 2011) moved into their home two years ago and began the process of making it feel like their own. Having written a beloved style & decorating book, Ted KW is no stranger to great design. He explains, “The process of turning a house into a home, for us, is really just about filling it with things you love. We fixed on a few strong organizing themes early on [and stuck to them]: a rich and varied use of green, art celebrating the natural landscape, furniture to comfortably accommodate lots of visitors, black and white, and lots of vintage furniture and farm implements.”

The result is a beautiful and welcoming home that feels full of life and color. “Our decorating goal is always stylish comfort. It can look cool, but if it isn’t comfy, it does not pass the test,” says Ted KW. “We have six sofas in the house. Snuggling up with a comfortable blanket and a good book holds great importance in our home.” I love the way each room has its own feel, but ties together seamlessly, thanks to the variations in green paint. Though we only spent a few hours inside for this photo shoot, we felt immediately at-home and welcomed. You can feel how much Ted, Ted and Bailey enjoy being in their home and how much they enjoy welcoming others, too. “What we love and are most thankful about the house is that we get to spend time with family and friends, both old and new,” says Ted KW. Read on to see their full home tour. Thank you so much to Ted, Ted and Bailey for having us! xo, grace

Photography by Kelly Merchant Photography

1. Lisa Congdon says:

Love love love the amazing combination of both restraint and flair in this house. Makes me want to decorate my house in just one color — what a fun thing to go hunting for only green things!

2. peggy poage says:

My sister and I were lucky guests at Hawthorne two winters ago. We thought it was spectacular then, but all the added tweaks since have brought it to a new level.
    I should add that the beauty of their home is only eclipsed by how incredibly welcome the Tedz ( and Bailey) make their guests feel!

3. kim says:

i love this home! great tour.

4. Beautiful! Love the light and the feel of this home. Great job! And the setting is exquisite, with all those glorious trees taking them through the seasons.

5. I absolutely love this home. It’s relaxed yet polished, playful yet serious, old yet new. The balance present is amazing.

6. Annie says:

That’s so true what Lisa said…”restraint and flair” Perfect!

7. Lizabeth says:

Isn’t the wood rack in the living room something to hold big spools of thread or yarn on?

1. Kathleen says:

Lizabeth, I was going to say the same thing – it’s for holding cones of thread, most likely for weaving. Good eye!

8. Oh my. I want to do my whole house green, now! I have been going very “green” in my pottery lately – and now I want a green house to put it all in!

9. Ruth Shively says:

Do tell….what paint company and color is the green?

1. Ruth Shively says:

In the main living area, down stairs. Thank you.

10. W.Greenleaf says:

But of course I love everything about this lovely home!

11. Scott James says:

Ted & Ted…..& Bailey
    Someone sent me the link to this wonderful blog………The cottage has never looked so good!! Thanks for continuing to show the love. Hope you have as many happy days there as I did. NY Fall is when I truly miss being there. Warmest Regards, Scott

1. Ted says:

Scott! So glad you saw this. We are LOVE LOVE LOVING the house and everything about it. Many moment of happiness, joy and contentment have happened. Please let us know if you’re in the area. T2B

12. Kiki says:

oh oh oh – my heart sings and bleeds at the same time. This is the ultimate feel good house tour ever….. AND a dog! My happiness is complete.
    May I ask one question (and maybe get a reply)? As much as I greatly admire your master bedroom, why and how can you sleep with your heads under the windows? Don’t you open them when you sleep? Doesn’t it rain in when they’re open? – I also am a total addict to Polka dots, and monograms, even if they are never mine!
    The paper sheets screens are pure genius! Already have the antic nearly ‘falling apart’ French picture dictionary with wonderful pictures and illustrations Petit Larive et Fleury from 1901 (which I bought in England and now for the past 8 yrs we live in greater Paris France!) – now need a porch and a BBQ grill to hide :)
    The funny wooden frame no 6 looks to me like a spool holder or also – if that makes sense – could be the dripping/drying rack of a candle maker! I don’t know what ‘industries’ you have in your country/county.
    The ‘mirror pics’ idea is absolutely to steal! I have too many pictures in partially fantastic old frames and not enough walls….
    And to finish: I LOVE your open shelves and I ADORE your bathroom. I’m so totally green with envy (in a good way) :) :)
    Thank you so much Ted&Ted for showing your home; have to show this to my son who is a landscape gardener – he will be in heaven.

13. Penny says:

My favorite store in all Seattle – now a peek into a home that inspires it. Thank you for sharing!

14. madlyn says:

I am just about in tears over this lovely home! Thank you so much for sharing!And I can’t wait to get your book!

15. Laura says:

Being a fan of Watson Kennedy as well as a fan of Ted, this was fun to see inside their amazing new home. Tedz and Bailey make Seattleites feel welcome and wonderful and this just eclipses that by allowing us to see what home life is like for/with them.

16. Helen gordon says:

I have said it before and will say it again, Ted is a master of extraordinary decour and repurposing. What an eye! I love my visits to his shop. I am going to Seattle in june and will go a day early just to make a stop at his stores. Lovely article. Have seen glimpses of this house but fun to see the whole transformation. Thanks!

17. Jewelry Lover says:

Beautiful house! I noticed some of the lamps have no shades. Is that a design statement or work in progress?

18. Amy Krane says:

I have had the pleasure of visiting T2’s home with my boyfriend, their caretaker, Bill. The bones of the house were great but Ted and Ted really created magic here! There isn’t a color I love more to mix shades of than green. As a color consultant it really makes me happy. Looking forward to having you as my Ghent “neighbor” for many years to come. Bravo!

19. carrie schei says:

What a wonderful, wonderful retreat in the country!!!! As always, such a delight to see what beauty Ted creates!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

20. Sukie says:

Such a sweet house. Love all the color mixed with white. Yay! So refreshing and happy. It seems like the only people who use color anymore are Europeans, which is why I prefer the Elle Decor UK version these days. All I see in American house tours is white walls and raw wood. I like that look too, but enough already! Would love to see a tour of their Seattle home too some day!