(How To) Get Over Comparing Yourself To Other Creatives

(How To) Get Over Comparing Yourself To Other Creatives
We know we shouldn’t, but we compare ourselves to other creatives. Constantly. Maybe we’re telling ourselves it’s healthy competition and, like, totally beneficial to our practice. More likely we know it’s just making us miserable. Whether you’re deluding yourself or not, I’m here to tell you it’s bad. Stop doing it.

I’ve created a simple guide to get over comparing yourself to other creatives. We can do this together. – ADAMJK

How To Get Over Comparing Yourself To Other Creatives: Admit It, Reflect, Count Your Blessings, Feel Pride, Celebrate, Rip Out Your Eyeballs

Admit It

Reflect

Count Your Blessings

Feel Pride

Celebrate

Rip Out Your Eyeballs

Adam J. KurtzAdam J. Kurtz (better known as ADAMJK) is an artist, idiot, and author of 1 Page at a Time: A Daily Creative Companion. His dark (but optimistic) humor comes to life in an offbeat line of gifts and small trinkets. Follow him at @ADAMJK or in real life (he lives in Brooklyn because of course he does).

1. Arielle says:

Love it. Since I started blogging, it’s been all too easy to get mired in others’ success, when I know I should just focus on the quality of the content in blogs I love. At the end of the day, I want to be better. I want to learn from the greats, not worry about comparisons.

2. Amanda says:

I’m definitely at the “Rip your eyeballs out” stage! To combat the lack of sight, I’m looking inward and working on creating something each and everyday. Thanks for the write up Adam!

3. Great advice, and reassuring to know I’m not the only one who feels this way at times! I like to say, “The only way to win is to get out of the competition”.

4. Kostner says:

As a tech blogger breaking on to the scene, I was excited to see my articles featured on flipboard and even getting a 1000 views. I know that is small but people have to remember, you truly have to start somewhere! I feel i am creating conversations that people are having without me somewhere, it may only be 2 people mulling over my words, but to me that makes it all worth it. ! Great advice!

5. aniella says:

I think any creative can relate to these. It’s good to see it in writing.

6. Tiffany says:

I needed this article today. Great advice :)

7. Lauran says:

So great — funny, succinct, and real. My favorite saying is “Comparison is the thief of joy”– I will have to post your version next to that quote on my bulletin board. Thanks!

8. Tracey says:

very true, very funny, very good. thanks for posting.

9. molly yeh says:

this is AMAZING!!!!!!

10. Ebony says:

So perfect, so on time! I loved this so much. In this fast paced world we live in that’s governed so much by likes and followers, it’s more than easy to find something to compare and obsess over. I’m practicing more of looking inward and celebrating my small victories!

11. Jess says:

I LOVE this so much!!!
    thanks for sharing and spreading to all #creativeminds in this world.

Sometimes we get too caught up in someone else success, we often forget to focus in ours.

12. Success and joy are contagious – love it! Love this truthful and beneficial post. Xo

13. Meghan says:

Wow Adam, I really loved this. As a person who recently cried into a cup of peppermint tea after seeing a beautiful lookbook and feeling sorry for myself for not having one – this really resonated with me. Thanks for doing what you do!!

1. Kate says:

Haha Meghan this comment made me smile. We’ve all been there. Your website looks amazing and I love your masthead font, so cute and original! You got this!

14. Michele says:

So so timely. It is so easy to look at everyones IG posts, with all the beautiful photos and projects and not get discouraged. I just keep on keeping on. Trying to learn from the great ones and create my own little content. Great article!

15. Kate says:

So perfect! Like anything else, admitting you have a problem is the first step :) In an over-saturated field like jewelry, I struggle with this all the time. Thanks for posting. It really helps to see that all makers wrestle with this at some point.

16. Kari says:

Love this. A lot.
    Sometimes as a creative, it’s time to breathe (and not just create a moment that looks like you’re breathing).

17. Aga B says:

Thanks, that’s just what I’ve needed!

18. Jennifer says:

So does this mean I shouldn’t have looked and found out you have over 57 THOUSAND followers?
    But actually this is a great post and honestly your followers are on to something…thanks for this, it’s a really important reminder.

19. Sherry says:

When I’m feeling a little antsy, I know for sure it’s time to close the studio computer. One I even had to tape my laptop shut to stop looking at something.

Good thing I have a dog and he doesn’t like when I bring my phone on a walk.
    xo
    Thanks, Adam.

20. Julie Wylie says:

Such a great & important post. I just want to pin this all up so I’ll see it every single day!

21. MotorMouth says:

Interestingly, I am generally inspired by the success of others. When I see great work I never feel jealous or inadequate. Instead, I look at what they’ve done and try to work out a) how they did it and b) how/where they got their inspiration.

22. kelly says:

Finding this long after the fact, but coincidentally on the heels of watching the AdamJK Skillshare class…. love the crossed out expletive!

23. Hatem says:

Great post! Thanks Adam!
    In fact there is another realm that is destructive as well.. Which is you do all that then you feel naive or not authentic because you are not troubled enough or not in touch with the fact on how things could be much better.. I have seen this happening a lot. And your post is a great reminder :)